Re: 2GB limit

  • mick_nslu2
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

      > mick_nslu2 wrote:
      > > I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
      >
      > You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
      > it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.

      Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

      > SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.

      Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

      Thanks.
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
        mick_nslu2 wrote:
        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
        >> mick_nslu2 wrote:
        >>> I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
        >> You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
        >> it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.
        >
        > Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

        Unslung is just the Linkys firmware opened up -- so the kernel, by
        definition, is the same version provided by Linksys. So we really have
        no choice about fixing that limit with Unslung. SlugOS is the answer to
        that need.

        >> SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.
        >
        > Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

        -Mike
      • Miguel M
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
          I've got slugos 5.3 and can confirm that files larger than 2GB can be transfered/stored on the slug. I have two virtual machines backed up on there. One is 3.5 GB and the other is 4.8 GB.