Re: [nslu2-linux] 2GB limit

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
      mick_nslu2 wrote:
      > I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?

      You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if it's
      Unslung you're probably out of luck.

      SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.

      Mike (mwester)
    • mick_nslu2
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

        > mick_nslu2 wrote:
        > > I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
        >
        > You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
        > it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.

        Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

        > SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.

        Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

        Thanks.
      • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
          mick_nslu2 wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
          >> mick_nslu2 wrote:
          >>> I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
          >> You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
          >> it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.
          >
          > Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

          Unslung is just the Linkys firmware opened up -- so the kernel, by
          definition, is the same version provided by Linksys. So we really have
          no choice about fixing that limit with Unslung. SlugOS is the answer to
          that need.

          >> SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.
          >
          > Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

          -Mike
        • Miguel M
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
            I've got slugos 5.3 and can confirm that files larger than 2GB can be transfered/stored on the slug. I have two virtual machines backed up on there. One is 3.5 GB and the other is 4.8 GB.