2GB limit

  • mick_nslu2
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
      I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
      --
      Regards,
    • David Given
      • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
          mick_nslu2 wrote:
          > I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?

          You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if it's
          Unslung you're probably out of luck.

          SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.

          Mike (mwester)
        • mick_nslu2
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

            > mick_nslu2 wrote:
            > > I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
            >
            > You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
            > it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.

            Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

            > SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.

            Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

            Thanks.
          • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
              mick_nslu2 wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
              >> mick_nslu2 wrote:
              >>> I've seen it mentioned on the wiki and came across it last night when I tried to move a 2.4GB file from my Topfield to my Slug. Same problem trying to move a larger than 2GB file from my PC to the Slug. Why is this happening? Is there a fix?
              >> You'll need to provide a bit more information. But in general, if
              >> it's Unslung you're probably out of luck.
              >
              > Hmm, I was hoping the Unslung firmware had caught up with modern kernels/fs capailities and the 2G file limit had been overcome. I use ftp on the Slug to connect to the Topfield via the second USB port. I will try to use puppy for this purpose and see if that also hungs up after the 2G limit has been reached.

              Unslung is just the Linkys firmware opened up -- so the kernel, by
              definition, is the same version provided by Linksys. So we really have
              no choice about fixing that limit with Unslung. SlugOS is the answer to
              that need.

              >> SlugOS should support large files like any other Linux system.
              >
              > Perhaps a future project of mine would be to upgrade to SlugOS.

              -Mike
            • Miguel M
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2009
                I've got slugos 5.3 and can confirm that files larger than 2GB can be transfered/stored on the slug. I have two virtual machines backed up on there. One is 3.5 GB and the other is 4.8 GB.