Re: mediatomb transcoding

  • h_ching
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slackline" <nshephard@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "h_ching" <h_ching@> wrote:

      > > > I am wondering if anyone has experience in this. I am trying to get mediatomb to transcode from my slug and my sheevaplug but the standard install is missing the mpeg2video encoder.
      > > >
      > > > After a bit of research, I learned that I need to install libavcodec-unstripped-51 but apt-get install libavcodec-unstripped-51 gives me
      > > >
      > > > Package libavcodec-unstripped-51 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      > > > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
      > > > is only available from another source
      > > > E: Package libavcodec-unstripped-51 has no installation candidate
      > > >
      > > > Any idea on how do I get this to work? I am using Debian Lenny distro.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance. Henry
      > > >

      > > Anyone has any thoughts on this or am I going about it the wrong way?
      > >

      > I wouldn't bother trying to get the slug to transcode video, it just doesn't pack enough punch.
      >
      > You may get more mileage out of the Sheevaplug though, but I've not got one to play with (yet :-) so can't comment.

      I agree and I am pinning my hopes on the Sheevaplug but I know both of them access the same Linux software library so I am hoping some brave souls may have attempted this before or at least aware of the issue and have some ideas on how to get around this.

      I went a bit further and listed all the supported format with ffmpeg -formats. The encoder for mpeg2video does not come with the standard install but mpeg1video does. However, it only transcoded one of my avi files for about 3 seconds and the the process is <defunct> when I was monitoring this using the 'top' command. A bit stuck.