Re: Unslung root password

  • castylx
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach
      <kai.steinbach@g...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:52:33 +0000 (UTC), Fernando <castylx@y...>
      wrote:

      > > > The readme also says to have no disks attached at the time
      that you
      > > > establish the telnet connection.
      > > >
      > > > (Unslinging Details, step 0, second line)
      > >
      > > I'm getting the exact same problem, has anyone checked out
      what's going on
      > > with this? It also said to login to 192.168.1.77, but I ended
      up logging into
      > > my old IP Address 192.168.1.200.
      > >
      > Hello Fernando
      >
      > the IP address thing is correct: during the unslung process your
      NSLU2
      > will always remember what IP it has been configured to before that.
      > There might be an opportunity to have that pointed out better in
      the
      > readme file.
      >
      > However, I cannot reproduce the root password problem. Basically,
      as
      > long as the NSLU2 boots *and runs* with NO drives attached, the
      > unslung password "uNSLUng" will work.
      > As soon as I attach any of my 2 drives, the drive's passwd file
      will
      > be used. To be explicit: it doesn't take a reboot for the password
      > "uNSLUng" to be invalid - hooking the drive to the slug and it will
      > use the disk's password immediately.
      >
      > Here is what works well for me during the unsling procedure:
      > 1. after flashing the image, reboot with no drive attached
      > 2. enable telnet via web interface - still no drive attached.
      > 3. telnet into the slug using the password "uNSLUng" - still no
      drive attached.
      > 4. NOW add the external disk ...
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Kai

      Hi Kai,

      Thanks for the prompt reply. I was having problems when I went
      to enable telnet via the web interface. I got around that by using
      login: admin password: admin. Once I did that I was able to enable
      telnet and use the "uNSLUng" password to login. I guess my problem
      was that I couldn't use the uNSLUng password to enable telnet, but
      no problem, everything is working great now!

      Thanks again,

      -- Fernando