Slug Capabilities

  • assimacos
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
      Hello,

      This is my first post to the group. I have been lurking for about a year since I bought my slug.

      This little device is running slugOS and is used as an nfs file server and a torrent client (rtorrent). I am also running SSH and screen.

      I am thinking of adding an IMAP server and a media server (probably mediatomb). Is that an acceptable load or am I asking to much?

      I am especially concerned about memory. Sometimes rtorrent terminates unexpectedly and I suspect memory outage.

      Thank you for your replies
      Antonis
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
        On Tuesday 08 September 2009 11:51:07 assimacos wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > This is my first post to the group. I have been lurking for about a year
        > since I bought my slug.
        >
        > This little device is running slugOS and is used as an nfs file server and
        > a torrent client (rtorrent). I am also running SSH and screen.
        >
        > I am thinking of adding an IMAP server and a media server (probably
        > mediatomb). Is that an acceptable load or am I asking to much?

        I think Mediatomb will at least try to transcode a file to a format your
        device can use. The Slug is definitely not up to transcoding video (it
        doesn't even have a floating point unit).

        If you don't have to transcode it might work, but I suspect not.

        --
        Brian Wood
        bwood@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
          assimacos schrieb:
          > I am especially concerned about memory. Sometimes rtorrent terminates unexpectedly and I suspect memory outage.

          You can set a maximum memory usage for rtorrent in its config file
          ~/.rtorrent.rc

          I have set it to

          max_memory_usage = 20971520

          and rtorrent crashes very seldom any more since I added this config setting.

          Chris
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
            On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 05:51:07PM -0000, assimacos wrote:
            > I am especially concerned about memory. Sometimes rtorrent
            >terminates unexpectedly and I suspect memory outage.

            I've had that happen. The kernel kills processes when it runs
            out of ram+swap. Fortunately, the solution is easy: add more swap.
          • smodge123
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
              I run Debian (lenny) on mine and have samba and vsftpd running in the background. I schedule rtorrent nightly with screen and terminate it in the morning but it runs rock solid with no drop outs. On top of this I use fuppes as my media streamer for use with my Xbox 360 and keep the daemon going all the time. All in all the slug handles things quite well. I noticed a pick up in rtorrent performance when I "overclocked" it to 266 Mhz and about the only time the slug gets a little bogged down is when I try to shuffle through a video on the 360 while rtorrent is thrashing the disk. I tried mediatomb but it didn't suit my needs. I can't comment on running an IMAP server but can't imagine this would be too heavy. Hope this helps and good luck!