Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: FTP

  • Jim Buzbee
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
      On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, joule360 wrote:

      > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
      > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
      > for the nslu2.
      >
      > nl

      Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh

      http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

      Jim

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
      jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
      http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
    • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
        > Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh
        >
        > http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
        >
        > Jim

        I know that is the one used with the WRT54G sveasoft firmware...but I tried
        looking for documentation for that sshd, so I could add user/id and port
        forwarding to my WRT54G (similar to the cygwin ssh client)...but I was
        unable to find more than the most rudimentary of documentation on dropbear.

        Did I just miss it, or does someone else know where I can find more info on
        the subject?

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        Powerpro Yahoogroup - Come, talk and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2sf7d
        Funstuff: Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we
        will.
      • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
          > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
          > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
          > for the nslu2.

          Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp capabilities? Sounds
          like something nice.... =)

          David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
          So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
          Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
        • joule360
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
            Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
            outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed. Speaking
            of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
            the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
            your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
            someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
            effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
            root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
            is or will be soon enough).

            Presumably none of the web access files and utilities have a password
            hard coded into them that will get broken if you change these default
            passwords; I haven't had a chance to scan all of them to see what
            might break, and some of the .cgi scripts are binary so that's a bit
            more difficult. Of course, you can use the web access to change the
            admin password, but not root or mytelnetrescueuser.

            Just a word of warning on security.

            nl

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
            > > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what
            about
            > > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
            > > for the nslu2.
            >
            > Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp
            capabilities? Sounds
            > like something nice.... =)
            >
            > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            > So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
            > Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
          • Eugene
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:
              > btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
              > the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
              > your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
              > someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
              > effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
              > root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
              > is or will be soon enough).

              It won't be a problem unless TelNet is on, and if someone has turned
              it on I'm sure they'll reset the passwords first thing.
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
                --- On Mon 08/09, joule360 < joule360@... > wrote:

                > Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                > outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed.
                > Speaking
                > of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped
                > with the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc,
                > putting your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security
                > hole once someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not
                > extending any effort in that direction having easily created my
                > own account with root access separate from the linksys accounts,
                > but I assume SOMEONE is or will be soon enough).

                > Just a word of warning on security.

                Good point!

                As it is, there is a SIMPLE way to replace the root password, that is, mounting the drive on another machine, and changing it to something (like the one for the 'admin' user), telnetting in, and changing it using 'passwd'.

                As for mounting it, using a 'live' Linux disk/CD, you can easily mount it, even on a dedicated Windows computer. I used my XP laptop, as it was just easier to do it on there.

                Brian

                No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
              • phew_uk2001
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido" <rsuplido@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                  With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                  forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                  (unslung 1.7).

                  I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                  that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                  ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                  phew.
                • joule360
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                    Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                    linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences between
                    various ftp daemons.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                    <rsuplido@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    >
                    > With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                    > forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                    > (unslung 1.7).
                    >
                    > I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                    > that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                    >
                    > ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                    >
                    > phew.
                  • Dave Bixler
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                      If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.

                      wrote:

                      Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

                      Thanks.

                      With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                      forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                      (unslung 1.7).

                      I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                      that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                      ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                      phew.

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • joule360
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                        Yes, now that you mention it, I think that's where I got it.

                        nl

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bixler <dbixler@w...> wrote:
                        > If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.
                        >
                        > joule360 wrote:
                        >
                        > >Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                        > >linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences
                        between
                        > >various ftp daemons.
                        > >
                        > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...>
                        wrote:

                        > >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                        > >>

                        > ><rsuplido@y...>

                        > >>With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                        > >>forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                        > >>(unslung 1.7).
                        > >>
                        > >>I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but
                        assume
                        > >>that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                        > >>
                        > >>..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                        > >>
                        > >>phew.
                        > >>

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • phew_uk2001
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                          The 'thanks' was for me being able to compile at all!

                          This seemed as good a thread to close as any.

                          I was unaware of any ftpd in the original; could this maybe have been
                          mentioned earlier (maybe i missed it)..and the thread closed out then?