[nslu2-linux] Re: rtorrent/libtorrent package: request of inclusion of --with-posix-fallocate

  • reqman@freemail.gr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
      cbm128 wrote:
      > reqman wrote:
      > > For me this is a significant change, since files downloaded up
      > > to now suffered from serious fragmentation (as can be seen by
      > > trying filefrag -v wher e is an rtorrent downloaded file).
      > > Although preallocating the file leads to a delay in starting
      > > the actual download, IMHO, and for small nas platforms, the
      > > advantages outweigh the delay disadvantage. No disk thrashing
      > > takes place, streaming is with less delays etc.
      >
      > I use debian stable on NSLU and I'm suffering from the same
      > devastating issue: on stuff downloaded I get ext3 read
      > performance from my HD in the order of 2.5MB/s, whereas I/O
      > from a non fragmented file is in the order of 14MB/s. So yes
      > this issue has definetly an impact.

      I would like to kindly ask the rtorrent/libtorrent maintainer(s) to have these packages configured per the original poster, ie:
      > In order for rtorrent/libtorrent to utilize
      > preallocation, it must be configured with
      > '--with-posix-fallocate' >
      > (see http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/460#comment:35 )

      TIA for taking the time to (re-)consider this request.

      R.-
    • brian_zhou
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
        rtorrent/libtorrent.mk is marked as group maintained ("NSLU2 Linux" <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>). This means anyone with optware commit access can improve the build recipe.

        I just got back from a vacation, and made the change per request for glibc platforms. I've only tested it to the extent that it does not crash on startup. Please "ipkg update; ipkg install libtorrent" and test.

        Regards,

        -Brian

      • reqman@freemail.gr
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2009
          > rtorrent/libtorrent.mk is marked as group maintained ("NSLU2 Linux" <nslu2-=
          > linux@yahoogroups.com>). This means anyone with optware commit access can i=
          > mprove the build recipe.

          If only I was a cook :)

          > I just got back from a vacation, and made the change per request for glibc =
          > platforms. I've only tested it to the extent that it does not crash on star=
          > tup. Please "ipkg update; ipkg install libtorrent" and test.

          Seems to work _awesomely_! To rtorrent users out there: remember to include the following line in .rtorrent.rc (or whatever you use) in order for files to preallocated:

          system.file_allocate.set = no

          Congrats to both the rtorrent developer rakhasha and to you all optware lads, thumbs up!

          BR,

          r.-