Re: HowTo for RAID1 using Debian?

  • starnamer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:
      > The way to avoid losing important data is backups. Make sure you are aware
      > that RAID is mainly to improve uptime, and is NOT a substitute for regular
      > backups.
      >
      > Not that RAID is a bad idea, it's just that it is often mis-understood as a
      > replacement for backups.
      >
      > No RAID system will protect you against rm *, for example, or a runaway
      > process that corrupts a filesystem.
      >
      > --
      > Brian Wood
      > bwood@...

      You're preaching to the choir.

      I was an IT manager for 12 years and know all about backups and doing test restores (or at least reading stuff back) since just because the backup program said it finished successfully doesn't mean you've got a good backup.

      Unfortunately, at home, the backup schedule tends to be more casual than at work and there's always the situation when someone copies some photos off the camera onto the PC/NAS and wipes the camera memory and before doing a backup ... which is the moment the disk chooses to die!

      I've had a big old Linux box with hardware RAID5 (DAC960 controller) at home for many years. Fortunately I've never actually lost a drive at home (had a power glitch wafter which the DAC960 claimed a drive had died, but it came back online just fine), but have been saved many times at work by RAID5. The Linux box is much too noisy these days for the storage it gives (500Gb) and SCSI disks are expensive, hence the NSLU2 and why I want to RAID it.
    • starnamer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "starnamer" <derek@...> wrote:
        > I came across instructions for Debian Etch (http://www.howtoforge.com/software-raid1-grub-boot-debian-etch) but since the NSLU2 doesn't use Grub (or Lilo), the instructions for the final stages aren't helpful. It may help to get the non-root partitions set up.

        It tunrs out the above instructions work fine. Just ignore the sections on GRUB. Also the thread here (http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-arm@.../msg09815.html) answered the question about boot code.

        What I wasn't clear about was that the APEX boot code removes the need for Gurb/Lilo and that update-initramfs automatically flashes the kernel and initramfs (as well as using the root info from /etc/fstab).

        The one thing I kept doing wrong (which didn't lose any data) was to keep swapping the 'sdb' drive for the 'sda' drive (and removing 'sda') when testing on the assumption that it would boot with either drive in either position. Once I realised that I should just leave both disks where they were it worked!

        I'd also missed that there was a Debiam Arm mailing list although it is mentioned (rather vaguely) in the Debian FAQ on the NSLU2 Wiki. Perhaps the FAQ ought to make it clearer (.e.g put a link at the top of the Debian FAQ).

        > Of course, if I do get it to work then I'll submit it for addition to the Wiki

        I think the only thing that needs adding about getting RAID working under Debian is to point to the above link about RAID on Debian Etch with a comment to ignore the Grub stuff.