Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 as a cheap homebrew router

  • Carl Steinhilber
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
      > Could you give me model number of some very cheap wired router,
      > that has ethernet wan, and supports MAC spoofing?

      As jon said, it's the firmware that's going to give you MAC spoofing... not the hardware itself.
      Most of the routers I've dealt with, in the last 2 years at least, all supported MAC spoofing out of the box.
      But, if not, it's a good bet that you can flash it with OpenWRT or other open firmware and viola... MAC spoofing very nearly guaranteed.

      Do a search for OpenWRT... and you'll find more information about it's most recent flavors/cousins (OpenWRT is several years old, and it's what I still use but is probably out-of-favor with most everyone else  ;-) )... as well as full lists of routers that are supported by each. Then just do a little comparison shopping and find something as cheap as you like.

      BUT... just a recommendation... you do tend to get what you pay for in a router. The cheaper the router, the more often you're going to have trouble with it, in my experience. It's typically worth it to pay a little extra... that way you know you'll have a solid router you can depend on and that won't give you gray hair.

      Linksys used to be much better than they are know, but they're still a decent bet. Netgear started as 80% crap and has tended to go downhill from there. Cisco dropped most of their cheaper routers once they bought Linksys. And... stay away from AirLink. More than that, I can't really tell you for fear of getting into the area of personal preference.

      The Linksys BEFSR41 used to be a great little workhorse. If you can find them anymore, might be a decent choice. I've seen them used for $12. Double-check flashable firmware, though.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
        Carl Steinhilber wrote:

        support for its out there right out of the box on a lot of routers
        because there are legitimate legal reasons to want to do it. (clone a
        mac of a device from the lan on the wan interface due to provisioning of
        the isp, failover using vrrp or carp like protocols, bonding interfaces,
        etc etc, so the ethernet driver basically has to just use the rom mac
        address as the "default" but set it to other things at various points in
        time.)

        switching the mac address on an interface is not some cloak and dagger
        thing at all. (once you pay xerox their royalty on the address they
        don't care if you use it)

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
          Just curious then. I have a belkein ADSL modem router. It has a four
          port switch, but wan is ADSL. Could i change firm ware to custom so
          that it can convert one of the four switch ports into a WAN ethernet
          port, represent seperate IP address and mac to that, while present
          different mac, and ip to wifi and remaining three ports, and act as a
          packet router?

          --
          Sent from my mobile device

          --~----~---~---~---~---~---~---~--~---~---~-
          Sajid Muhaimin Choudhury
          Level-4 Term-2, Department of EEE, BUET

          Website: http://www.sajidmc.net
        • Fajar A. Nugraha
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2009
            On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Robin (Sajid Muhaimin
            Choudhury)<me@...> wrote:

            > Just curious then. I have a belkein ADSL modem router. It has a four
            > port switch, but wan is ADSL. Could i change firm ware to custom so
            > that it can convert one of the four switch ports into a WAN ethernet
            > port, represent seperate IP address and mac to that, while present
            > different mac, and ip to wifi and remaining three ports, and act as a
            > packet router?

            Is it listed here?
            http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Belkin

            --
            Fajar
          • Robin (Sajid Muhaimin Choudhury)
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 19, 2009
              No. Actually it is listed on the known incompatibility list. :(

              --
              Sent from my mobile device