Re: CUPS printing to LPD Unslung 6.10-beta? Or should I change firmware?

  • starnamer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
      > (And now it's time for the inevitable comment from someone, that goes
      > something like: "But I had CUPS 1.0 working wonderfully back in 1955, on
      > my 5 MHz 8-bit Studebaker running Linux 0.1 with only 640KB of RAM! The
      > NSLU2 is far more powerful than that!!" :-D Regardless, I'll stick with
      > my statement: the NSLU2 cannot meet modern expectations for complex
      > document conversion and rendering, no matter what you do.)

      I'm quite prepared to reduce my expectations! :)
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
        starnamer wrote:

        > Regarding your suggestion, the point is that I don't want to leave another PC running when I'm away and want to print something for reference back home. There's also the situation where I'm sat next to the printer using a PC which is VPN'd into a remote site, and blocked from accessing the local subnet by policies set at the remote site, so, effectively, the local PC isn't available!

        So you need IPP. No problem, works great.

        > So with all the caveats, it is possible to get at least a subset of CUPS running?

        Of course - I mentioned that in the original email you referenced: just
        run the print driver (Windows) or renderer/converter (Linux) locally,
        and use CUPS on the NSLU2 to pass the HP PCL (or whatever your native
        printer speaks) from the IPP port to the printer.

        > Obviously, it would need a reasonable amount of spool space and probably a large swap area, but since old PC's used to be able to manage to do this so it should be possibly. Does the functionality exist and has been disabled or would I need to get hold of the sources and build a custom version of CUPS? The latter might be better as I could then remove completely anything I didn't want rather than just disable or not use it, however, this would obviously be more work!

        Of course this works -- see my earlier emails! This is basic CUPS
        functionality. I chose to use a 20GByte hard drive for spool space, but
        given the price of flash drives anymore you could easily do this with a
        flash drive.

        > You also didn't comment as to whether Debian could do it? Or does this count as an Optware variant in this case?

        The issue is the NSLU2 hardware. So, no, Debian would have exactly the
        same issues SlugOS would have. Unslung differs only in that it has an
        older kernel, so it may be slightly different in exactly where and how
        it would fail. But the issue is the hardware -- you do not have enough
        CPU and memory to run the postscript->PCL conversion (or whatever
        converter you would need for your printer) on the device, in any
        practical way.

        > Thanks agan for the reply.

        Mike (mwester)
      • starnamer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
          Thanks Mike. It works as expected!

          I was thrown by the fact that after initially installing CUPS, I got 'Unsupported format' errors from both trying to use the command 'lpr' (text/plain) and trying to print a test page (application/postscript).

          This led me to this the renderer wouldn't run. I tried simply setting up to print remotely (changing firewall setting) and, after solving the "using invalid Host: field" problem (the external hostname needs to be in the/etc/hosts file), it worked fine.

          I then tried the 'lpr' command and printing a test page and these work too, although, as expected, printing postscript causes paging. However, it seems the NSLU2 will use a local renderer without dying. Perhaps it would be worse for more complex print.

          Anyway, thanks for your advice.

          Derek.