Re: [nslu2-linux] running on boot

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2009
      David Powell wrote:
      > I thought I knew how to make a program run automatically on boot, but
      > for some reason I just can't get it to work on the slug. I'm running
      > slugOS/BE and I created a shell script that I want to run when the slug
      > boots. It's a very simple script, just starts a Java program and puts it
      > to the background. I created the script in the /etc/init.d/ directory,
      > and put a softlink to it in the /etc/rcS.d/ directory. The softlink is
      > called S98solarServer. I can execute the softlink from the command line
      > and it runs fine, but when I reboot it doesn't run. What am I doing wrong?
      > Thanks, David

      Any of about a million things can be wrong; we need a bit more debugging.

      Can you post your shell script, please? Also, what are the permissions
      on it (the output from "ls -l /etc/init.d/S98solarServer" would do)? If
      you add "echo solarServer >> /var/tmp/solarServer.log" as the first
      executable statement in your script, does that log file get created
      correctly?

      Mike (mwester)
    • david90210david
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2009
        I tried what you said, that's a great idea. The log file does get written, so it must be executing the script.

        What the script actually does is run another script. I put the same sort of test in that one and it is being run as well.

        So I guess the thing that's not happening is my java program. I could put a debug statement in it too, so I'll try that. In the meantime, here's the dir listing and contents of the 2nd script:

        root@solar:~# ls -l /server.sh
        -rwxrw-rw- 1 root root 633 Aug 9 18:04 /server.sh
        root@solar:~# cat /server.sh
        #!/bin/bash

        stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal crtscts -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8 -opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt -echoctl -echoke
        cd /usr/src/javaprogs/
        jamvm -cp .:/opt/lib/java/RXTXcomm.jar:/opt/lib/jcckit.jar -Dgnu.classpath.boot.library.path=/opt/lib/classpath/ -Djava.library.path=/opt/lib/classpath:/opt/lib org.buteomont.solar.Server

        Thanks, David