RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: Debian upgrade etch --> lenny: The kernel doesn't fit in flash. -- 2.6.26-2

  • Mario Ruprecht
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009

      Hi there,

      as both of you seem to be German you might take a look to my upgrade experience:

      Basically, it worked and I did not have an issue with too big kernel files. But I did the whole process back in February.

      Cheers, Mario

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
        * die_amme <die_amme@...> [2009-08-05 19:30]:
        > What can i do?
        >
        > It looks like the image is to big.

        What does
        cat /proc/mtd
        say?
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
          Hi,

          thanks for the link. 8-)
          But it helps not with the kernel problem.
          (with exception of your advice:
          "Never touch a running system!" ;-] )

          What shows "ls -lisa /boot" and "uname -a" at your NSLU2?

          best regards,
          dA

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Ruprecht" <mario@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > as both of you seem to be German you might take a look to my upgrade experience:
          > http://blog.knecht-ruprecht.info/2009/02/nslu2-upgrade-von-debian-etch-40-auf.html
          >
          > Basically, it worked and I did not have an issue with too big kernel files. But I did the whole process back in February.
          >
          > Cheers, Mario
          > --
          > http://www.knecht-ruprecht.info
          >

          > _____

        • die_amme
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
            Hi,

            i found a solution for my problem:

            Step 1) problem source
            cat /proc/mtd
            --> mtd3: 00140000 00020000 "Kernel"

            See also: << http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-kernel@.../msg41077.html >>

            Step 2)
            following the linkmessage.
            "upslug2" and "flash-kernel"

            Checking again
            cat /proc/mtd
            --> mtd3: 00160000 00020000 "Kernel"

            :-) looks good, or?

            Now the upgrade on 2.6.26-2 works with no failure! :-)

            cu,
            dA
          • Martin Michlmayr
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
              * Christopher Arndt <chris.arndt@...> [2009-08-05 22:05]:
              > > after a long time i want to upgrade from etch to lenny.
              > > Everthing during the upgrade process works ok with exception of
              > > "flash-kernel" and linux-image-2.6.26-2-ixp4xx.
              > > What can i do?
              > >
              > > It looks like the image is to big.
              >
              > I would be very interested a solution for this as well, since I'm
              > planning to upgrade my NSLU2 running under edge very soon too.

              An upgrade shouldn't be a problem and the kernel should fit in flash.
              We once generated NSLU2 images with a wrong (too small) kernel
              partition and I suspect "die_amme" installed one of those images;
              however, those wrong images were only available for a short time, so
              most users shouldn't be affected by this problem.

              You can check by looking at the file /proc/mtd. There should be a
              line like this:
              mtd3: 00160000 00020000 "Kernel"
              i.e. the kernel partition is 0x00160000 (1441792) bytes large, and so
              the kernel should fit.
              --
              Martin Michlmayr
              http://www.cyrius.com/