Re: [nslu2-linux] Pen drive failure

  • Harsh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
      hmm ... wonder if I can get something similar on Unslung.

      Thanks for the link.
      -H

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
        Harsh wrote:

        > hmm ... wonder if I can get something similar on Unslung.

        No.

        There are wiki pages that describe attempts to do this for Unslung, with
        generally poor results. The fundamental problem is that the Linksys
        firmware, which is the basis for Unslung, does not provide a good
        infrastructure to make RAID work very well. Don't even try it on
        Unslung without a serial console, either -- it's just too frustrating!

        Mike (mwester)

        > Thanks for the link.
        > -H

      • david90210david
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
          After I got my NSLU2 working just right, I shut it down, pulled the pen drive out, and plugged it into my lappy (an ASUS eee PC). I plugged in another, identical pen drive and, after making *absolutely* sure that I knew which one was which in the /dev directory, I typed

          dd if=/dev/sdd of=/dev/sde bs-1024k

          This made an exact duplicate of the pen drive in short order. Plugging either one into the slug allows it to boot just fine.

          WARNING! If you get the "if" and "of" parameters reversed, you will wind up with TWO BLANK PEN DRIVES instead of two copies of the good one! If you are lucky enough to be copying from a pen drive that has a write-protect switch, use it!

          David