Re: Pen drive failure

  • carl_steinhilber
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

      > 1. Anyone else have any experience with pen drives abruptly
      > failing like this on the NSLU2 ?

      I've had a number of pen drives fail... and none of the failures had anything to do with the NSLU2 (I don't even use a pen drive on my slug).

      Most of the drives that have failed were no-names; either picked up as kitsch or give-aways, or purchased from the bargain table at Fry's. So I didn't really expect much from them in the first place, and never stored anything terribly vital. Though I did have a Kingston drive, which all along I had considered to be rock solid, go on me just recently with several thousand pages of my life's work on it. But, again, none were ever connected to my NSLU2.

      I had one drive that exhibited sort of the same symptoms that you reported. The data was accessible intermittently. Since your data is still intact, it's unlikely that it's a surge issue. If there really was a current overrun, most likely your data would've been blinked in the process. It's more likely that the connector is flakey. Question is, on which end... the drive's, or the slug's.

      > 3. Assuming a possibility that the power supply may have had
      > something to do with "frying" my drive, is there a surge
      > protected USB hub sorta thing around to prevent this?

      I do find some USB hubs offering "current limiters" or "over current protection" on the ports... but I haven't seen anything for a single USB connection. And, as I said, I'm willing to bet (or, at least, unwilling to assume) that the issue didn't stem from a surge anyway... as your drive didn't actually get "fried".
    • Harsh
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
        Yeah I agree with your hypothesis. Was just wondering if possibly the connectors to these drives were more susceptible to power surges than the data integrity itself.

        The problem is definitely with the drive because it didnt work on my laptop USB port either (until recently of course). This was a 4G Imation btw (so its not a high end range of drive anyway).

        I don't really mind tossing the thumb drive out the window but I'm more worried that a potential surge of the USB port could actually fry a hard drive I may put onto the port : potentially carrying with it - a few million pages of my lifes work :-). The reason I suspected the power supply at first was because I recently replaced the original Linksys one with an unbranded 5V 2A power supply. Seems to work okay - except for this happening recently.

        Thanks,
        Harsh

        > 1. Anyone else have any experience with pen drives abruptly
        > failing like this on the NSLU2 ?

        I've had a number of pen drives fail... and none of the failures had anything to do with the NSLU2 (I don't even use a pen drive on my slug).

        Most of the drives that have failed were no-names; either picked up as kitsch or give-aways, or purchased from the bargain table at Fry's. So I didn't really expect much from them in the first place, and never stored anything terribly vital. Though I did have a Kingston drive, which all along I had considered to be rock solid, go on me just recently with several thousand pages of my life's work on it. But, again, none were ever connected to my NSLU2.

        I had one drive that exhibited sort of the same symptoms that you reported. The data was accessible intermittently. Since your data is still intact, it's unlikely that it's a surge issue. If there really was a current overrun, most likely your data would've been blinked in the process. It's more likely that the connector is flakey. Question is, on which end... the drive's, or the slug's.

        > 3. Assuming a possibility that the power supply may have had
        > something to do with "frying" my drive, is there a surge
        > protected USB hub sorta thing around to prevent this?

        I do find some USB hubs offering "current limiters" or "over current protection" on the ports... but I haven't seen anything for a single USB connection. And, as I said, I'm willing to bet (or, at least, unwilling to assume) that the issue didn't stem from a surge anyway... as your drive didn't actually get "fried".

        See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
      • Harsh
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
          hmm ... wonder if I can get something similar on Unslung.

          Thanks for the link.
          -H

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
            Harsh wrote:

            > hmm ... wonder if I can get something similar on Unslung.

            No.

            There are wiki pages that describe attempts to do this for Unslung, with
            generally poor results. The fundamental problem is that the Linksys
            firmware, which is the basis for Unslung, does not provide a good
            infrastructure to make RAID work very well. Don't even try it on
            Unslung without a serial console, either -- it's just too frustrating!

            Mike (mwester)

            > Thanks for the link.
            > -H

          • david90210david
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
              After I got my NSLU2 working just right, I shut it down, pulled the pen drive out, and plugged it into my lappy (an ASUS eee PC). I plugged in another, identical pen drive and, after making *absolutely* sure that I knew which one was which in the /dev directory, I typed

              dd if=/dev/sdd of=/dev/sde bs-1024k

              This made an exact duplicate of the pen drive in short order. Plugging either one into the slug allows it to boot just fine.

              WARNING! If you get the "if" and "of" parameters reversed, you will wind up with TWO BLANK PEN DRIVES instead of two copies of the good one! If you are lucky enough to be copying from a pen drive that has a write-protect switch, use it!

              David