recovering from bad flash

  • opt12001
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      I tried to flash from Debian to openwrt and after the flash, the NLSU2 tried to boot (I saw on my DHCP server it retrieved an IP address but remained not pingable. After all led blinked one after the other, only the Ethernet LED remains lighted.

      Here was the flash sequence :
      $ sudo upslug2 -i openwrt-nslu2-squashfs.bin
      NSLU2 00:14:bf:63:46:30 Product ID: 1 Protocol ID: 0 Firmware Version: R23V63 [0x2363]
      Upgrading LKG634630 00:14:bf:63:46:30
      . original flash contents * packet timed out
      ! being erased - erased
      u being upgraded U upgraded
      v being verified V verified

      Display:

      7fffff+000000 ...VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
      Rebooting... done

      I then tried to flash again but here is what I got :

      $ upslug2 -i openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs-r12674-glr.bin
      NSLU2 00:14:bf:63:46:30 Product ID: 1 Protocol ID: 0 Firmware Version: R23V63 [0x2363]
      Upgrading LKG634630 00:14:bf:63:46:30
      . original flash contents * packet timed out
      ! being erased - erased
      u being upgraded U upgraded
      v being verified V verified

      Display:

      0+0005bf ...u------------------------------------------------------------
      broadcast: flash programming error [std::exception]
      The NSLU2 reported an error reprogramming the flash, this is
      potentially a serious hardware problem, however it is probably
      worth while retrying the upgrade to see if the problem is
      temporary.

      The same if I try again

      Any idea to correct all this ?
      Thanks
    • Mathis Rosenhauer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        opt12001 wrote:

        > I tried to flash from Debian to openwrt and after the flash, the NLSU2
        > tried to boot (I saw on my DHCP server it retrieved an IP address but
        > remained not pingable. After all led blinked one after the other, only
        > the Ethernet LED remains lighted.

        Openwrt has 192.168.1.1 as its initial IP address. Usually this is what
        your router has so you maybe have to change your router's address
        temporally or connect directly to the slug with a crossover cable to
        change the slug's IP.

        Cheers,
        Mathis
      • opt12001
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
          Thanks,
          It seems it is not the problem. I really thought the NLSU2 was bricked because upslug2 systematically failed afterwards but I eventually succeeded in reflashing unslung using redboot+tftp. Then tried again with openwrt kamikaze 8.09.1 using upslug2. I tried the unplug my router from the switch but IP addressing does not seem to be the problem (moreover there is a DHCP server).
          Any other suggestion ?