rtorrent/libtorrent package: request of inclusion of --with-posix-fallocate

  • reqman@freemail.gr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
      Hello all,

      I am not certain whether my request belongs to this list; if it is not, feel free to forward/reject it. I just obtained the address from the "maintainers" field for rtorrent.

      The following affect the rtorrent/libtorrent package. In rtorrent ticket #460 (see http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/460 ), the author accepted and included a modification to cater for the preallocation of torrent files.

      For me this is a significant change, since files downloaded up to now suffered from serious fragmentation (as can be seen by trying filefrag -v where is an rtorrent downloaded file). Although preallocating the file leads to a delay in starting the actual download, IMHO, and for small nas platforms, the advantages outweigh the delay disadvantage. No disk thrashing takes place, streaming is with less delays etc.

      In order for rtorrent/libtorrent to utilize preallocation, it must be configured with '--with-posix-fallocate' (see http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/460#comment:35 ).

      If possible, please consider this change for inclusion in the optware distribution.

      TIA.-
    • cbm128
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2009
        > For me this is a significant change, since files downloaded up to now suffered from serious fragmentation (as can be seen by trying filefrag -v where is an rtorrent downloaded file). Although preallocating the file leads to a delay in starting the actual download, IMHO, and for small nas platforms, the advantages outweigh the delay disadvantage. No disk thrashing takes place, streaming is with less delays etc.

        I use debian stable on NSLU and I'm suffering from the same devastating issue: on stuff downloaded I get ext3 read performance from my HD in the order of 2.5MB/s, whereas I/O from a non fragmented file is in the order of 14MB/s.
        So yes this issue has definetly an impact.

        Max
      • reqman@freemail.gr
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
          cbm128 wrote:
          > reqman wrote:
          > > For me this is a significant change, since files downloaded up
          > > to now suffered from serious fragmentation (as can be seen by
          > > trying filefrag -v wher e is an rtorrent downloaded file).
          > > Although preallocating the file leads to a delay in starting
          > > the actual download, IMHO, and for small nas platforms, the
          > > advantages outweigh the delay disadvantage. No disk thrashing
          > > takes place, streaming is with less delays etc.
          >
          > I use debian stable on NSLU and I'm suffering from the same
          > devastating issue: on stuff downloaded I get ext3 read
          > performance from my HD in the order of 2.5MB/s, whereas I/O
          > from a non fragmented file is in the order of 14MB/s. So yes
          > this issue has definetly an impact.

          I would like to kindly ask the rtorrent/libtorrent maintainer(s) to have these packages configured per the original poster, ie:
          > In order for rtorrent/libtorrent to utilize
          > preallocation, it must be configured with
          > '--with-posix-fallocate' >
          > (see http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/460#comment:35 )

          TIA for taking the time to (re-)consider this request.

          R.-
        • brian_zhou
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
            rtorrent/libtorrent.mk is marked as group maintained ("NSLU2 Linux" <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>). This means anyone with optware commit access can improve the build recipe.

            I just got back from a vacation, and made the change per request for glibc platforms. I've only tested it to the extent that it does not crash on startup. Please "ipkg update; ipkg install libtorrent" and test.

            Regards,

            -Brian

          • reqman@freemail.gr
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2009
              > rtorrent/libtorrent.mk is marked as group maintained ("NSLU2 Linux" <nslu2-=
              > linux@yahoogroups.com>). This means anyone with optware commit access can i=
              > mprove the build recipe.

              If only I was a cook :)

              > I just got back from a vacation, and made the change per request for glibc =
              > platforms. I've only tested it to the extent that it does not crash on star=
              > tup. Please "ipkg update; ipkg install libtorrent" and test.

              Seems to work _awesomely_! To rtorrent users out there: remember to include the following line in .rtorrent.rc (or whatever you use) in order for files to preallocated:

              system.file_allocate.set = no

              Congrats to both the rtorrent developer rakhasha and to you all optware lads, thumbs up!

              BR,

              r.-