Re: opinion request

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2009
      un lémurien <un.lemurien@...> writes:

      > - using wireless dongles on the NSLU2 is a problem: very few usb wifi
      > chipsets have native linux drivers.

      I don't believe this is true any more, certainly rt73 and zd1211 are
      well supported. Support for 11n chipsets is not as good but exists.

      > Also, you can't rely on ndiswrapper
      > to use Windows drivers since this is limited to x86 architectures (while
      > the NSLU2 is ARM based).

      This is certainly true but I don't believe ndiswrapper is needed by
      much any more.

      > I don't use the NSLU2 for wireless.

      I did for a long while just so I could get electrical isolation between one of
      the slugs and the machines it was hosting backups for.

      The biggest problem you'll have running 2 USB wireless devices is that you'll
      need a powered hub as they tend to be power hungry.

      Adam
    • Charles Lindsey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rudy Moore <the_orn@...> wrote:

        > Is it the idea of having two functioning wireless dongles on the NSLU2? There's no problem about the antennae. My high power card has an antenna that is far removed from the local area antenna.

        Can you tell us what cards/dongles you are using, and how far away the antenna is?

        In the application I am considering, it will be necessary to have the NSLU2 wifi-enabled, but the antenna will need to be placed high up in the same building in order to achieve line-of-sight communication to a point 400m away.
      • Rudy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
          Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

          I've got an AWUS036H based on the RTL8187L chip. Do you know off hand whether this is supported? This is power hungry, so I'm already planning on using a powered hub for it.

          I don't currently have a second USB wifi card, though I do have a compact flash wifi that is doing nothing. Do you think a USB -> CF -> Atheros based wifi is likely to work? What about making the box look like an access point?

          Thanks for all the tips!
          Rudy

          Goal:
          2 wifi connections, webcam, VGA output to spare monitor. Server + Slideshow / webcam display.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

          > un lémurien <un.lemurien@> writes:
          >
          > > - using wireless dongles on the NSLU2 is a problem: very few usb wifi
          > > chipsets have native linux drivers.
          >
          > I don't believe this is true any more, certainly rt73 and zd1211 are
          > well supported. Support for 11n chipsets is not as good but exists.
          >
          > > Also, you can't rely on ndiswrapper
          > > to use Windows drivers since this is limited to x86 architectures (while
          > > the NSLU2 is ARM based).
          >
          > This is certainly true but I don't believe ndiswrapper is needed by
          > much any more.
          >
          > > I don't use the NSLU2 for wireless.
          >
          > I did for a long while just so I could get electrical isolation between one of
          > the slugs and the machines it was hosting backups for.
          >
          > The biggest problem you'll have running 2 USB wireless devices is that you'll
          > need a powered hub as they tend to be power hungry.
          >
          > Adam

        • Sébastien Lorquet
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
            will USB -> CFIO work with a basic memory card reader?

            I know from experience that it's not the case with USB-> SD readers stuffed with a SDIO wifi card.

          • Rudy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Lindsey" <clerew5@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rudy Moore <the_orn@> wrote:
              >
              > > Is it the idea of having two functioning wireless dongles on the NSLU2? There's no problem about the antennae. My high power card has an antenna that is far removed from the local area antenna.
              >
              > Can you tell us what cards/dongles you are using, and how far away the antenna is?
              >
              > In the application I am considering, it will be necessary to have the NSLU2 wifi-enabled, but the antenna will need to be placed high up in the same building in order to achieve line-of-sight communication to a point 400m away.

              so far, I've got an AWUS036H - this is a USB wifi device that can broadcast up to 500mW. It seems to also have a more sensitive receiver, but I don't have a way of numerically proving it.

              The other end of the connection is a linksys box only about 30m away, but it's through the building so there's a lot of signal loss. Plus, it's an apartment where there are other wifi connections present.
            • Rudy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
                I'm not sure. I have used the CF wifi in a CF -> PCMCIA adapter, but of course that's a different horse entirely.