Installing NSLU2 toolchain

  • david90210david
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2009

      I am trying to install a native toolchain to my NSLU2 with SlugOS/BE installed.  It is very frustrating; many of the instructions in the WIKI are outdated, and many of the external links do not work.  I finally found one that seemed reasonable, at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages.
      Based on it, I tried "ipkg install optware-devel" and it merrily churned for several minutes before giving an error, something about wget-ssl not being compatible with wget. (I also tried it with "opkg", but no joy there at all.  How do you know which to use?)

      I uninstalled wget and then manually installed wget-ssl, which seemed to work fine. Then I tried rerunning "ipkg install optware-devel", and it reported success almost immediately. But there's still no compiler.  No gcc, no cc, no cl, nothing.  I tried uninstalling the package using "ipkg -V 2 -force-removal-of-dependent-packages -recursive remove optware-devel", and various other combinations, which all reported success.  However, when I repeat the "ipkg install optware-devel" (or even "ipkg -V 2 -force-reinstall install optware-devel"), it returns almost immediately and reports success, but there's still no compiler. Here's the output from that last incantation:

      # ipkg -V 2 -force-reinstall install optware-devel
      pkg_info_preinstall_check: updating arch priority for each package
      pkg_info_preinstall_check: update file owner list
      Reinstalling optware-devel (6.8-9) on root...
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/unstable/optware-devel_6.8-9_armeb.ipk
      Running script //opt/lib/ipkg/info/optware-devel.preinst
        installing maintainer scripts
        installing data files
          extracting data files to /
          creating optware-devel.list file
          creating //opt/lib/ipkg/info/optware-devel.list file for pkg optware-devel
        resolving conf files
        cleanup temp files
      cleanup_temporary_files: pkg=optware-devel local_filename=/opt/ipkg-aghnQ0/optware-devel_6.8-9_armeb.ipk tmp_dir=/opt/ipkg-aghnQ0
      Done.
      Configuring unpacked packages
      Configuring optware-devel
      Running script //opt/lib/ipkg/info/optware-devel.postinst
        writing status file
      pkg_write_changed_filelists: saving changed filelists
          creating optware-devel.list file
          creating //opt/lib/ipkg/info/optware-devel.list file for pkg optware-devel
      Successfully terminated.

      I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to this problem.  All I'm trying to do is make an NSLU2 version of AVRDUDE.  Can someone please answer this question:  How do I install a toolchain to compile natively on the NSLU2?

    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
        david90210david wrote:

        > I am trying to install a native toolchain to my NSLU2 with SlugOS/BE
        > installed. It is very frustrating; many of the instructions in the WIKI
        > are outdated, and many of the external links do not work. I finally
        > found one that seemed reasonable, at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages.
        > Based on it, I tried "/ipkg install optware-devel/" and it merrily
        > churned for several minutes before giving an error, something about
        > wget-ssl not being compatible with wget.

        It seems that would be a bug in the meta-package, or in the way wget is
        packaged.

        > (I also tried it with "opkg",
        > but no joy there at all. How do you know which to use?)

        ipkg installs "optware", opkg installs the native packages. Basically,
        the two variations select different feeds. As for which to use --
        depends entirely on the packages one is installing.

        > I uninstalled wget and then manually installed wget-ssl, which seemed to
        > work fine.

        Yep, that would be a correct way to address that problem.

        > Then I tried rerunning "/ipkg install optware-devel/", and it
        > reported success almost immediately.

        It's a meta-package. That means that "optware-devel" contains nothing
        itself, it just depends on a set of packages that are to be installed.
        So in this case, all the dependencies are now satisfied (it failed on
        wget-ssl and you fixed that manually, so that's exactly what to expect).

        > But there's still no compiler. No
        > gcc, no cc, no cl, nothing.

        You installed from the optware feeds -- did you look in /opt/bin? All
        optware packages install into the /opt directory structure.

        -Mike (mwester)
      • Brian Zhou
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
          Not all optware feeds have native toolchain. The optware-devel is just a meta package, it includes native toolchain if one is available. In the case of optware/slugos5{be,le}, you should use /usr/bin/opkg to install native gcc ipk.

          -Brian