Re: SlugOS 5.3, Memstick & HDD -- device name confusion (sda / sdb)

  • Charles Lindsey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

      > The /dev/sda1 noted in the fstab is not used by SlugOS, so you can just
      > leave it as-is. (We should replace that with a UUID reference some day,
      > just to avoid confusing humans, though.)

      OK, so it should be possible to mount the stick by uuid rather than knowing which /dev/sd[ab] is is on this week. It that correct? Presumably udev could be hacked thataway.

      However, that might be difficult when NFS mounting from some other system. For example, my Solaris system doesn't seem to know about mounting things given their uuid, either locally or remotely.

      So suggestions about overcoming that? Currently, my [v[fstab entry 'guesses' at remote:/media/sda1. Which works fine so long as the guess it correct, but involves manual fiddling when it isn't :-( .