red and green light flashing on NSLU2

  • currter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
      I wanted to flash my NSLU2 device with the original Linksys firmware, so I went to the Administration Upgrade Mode thinking I could flash the device with the old firmware. Now I do not have access to the network storage device and the light is alternately flashing red and green. I may have made a mistake in trying to reset the device as well.

      Is it possible to recover from this mode? I have no idea what the IP address would be now for the device. I do not want to deal with JTAG and all. Is all hope lost and I should just recycle this device?

      Thank you.
    • Ian White
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
        This red-green flashing probably means that it is indeed in the "upgrade mode"

        So you could re-flash using either "upslug2" utility or the Sercom, "upgrade" tool

        However you may just be able to hard-power-cycle (i.e. unplug and then reconnect the DC jack)
        and the slug will typically revert back to your previous ("unslung"?) firmware
        (well that it what it has done when I tried this)

        Note that it *may* have reverted to the default fixed IP address of 192.168.1.77 rather than DHCP-assigned
        So you could try changing your PC's IP config to access it

        But you really ought to try searching the www.nslu2-linux.org project Wiki before asking on this forum because it provides answers to loads of the standard issues/problems that people have with their slugs.

        Cheers
        Ian W.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
          Never mind. I fixed the problem before I could respond back here. Thank you for the information. I managed to restore the device
          using the method you suggested.

          Everything is working again.