Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Optware feed for Marvell SheevaPlug

  • David Given

      Brian Zhou wrote:
      [...]
      > Kirkwood support starts to be available in kernel.org 2.6.29, and most will be incorporated in 2.6.30. That's why there're people building and offering 2.6.30-rc kernel uImage and modules. I also created a optware/sheevaplug ipk feed for that purpose.

      I'm using Martin Michlmayr's 2.6.30-rc8 kernel; disk performance is
      about *twice* that of the stock kernel, and you get all the goodness of
      a Debian boot/initrd pair. (Root on RAID, for example.) However, there
      seems to be something odd going on with the NAND flash driver.

      The stock u-boot only supports booting from NAND, network, and USB. But
      the USB boot support is very picky and horribly slow --- I had a
      situation where swapping two devices on my USB hub would make the
      difference between a successful boot and a crash. I recommend the u-boot
      upgrade that Martin Michlmayr links to, which adds SD card boot support.
      It's reliable and much faster than USB.

      - --

      │ "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who
      │ know we don't." --- Bjarne Stroustrup
    • LaneD130
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 21, 2009
        Well you'll be glad... no hang on, most of you probably don't care that my shiny new SheevaPlug has arrived. However, for those of you in the UK and still awaiting yours, don't lose hope; they took their time, but they are on their way!

        I remembered reading that Marvell were donating a SheevaPlug to the NSLU2 dev. team back in March, and that Brian Zhou was organizing an Optware feed. However, I can't see any mention on the nslu2-linux.org site. Please would a kind-hearted gent point me in the right direction?

        Also, it would be great to hear how others are getting on with theirs. I would put myself very firmly in the "noob" category, so any hints, tips, suggestions, etc. would be very gratefully received.

        TIA, Davii
      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 21, 2009
          On Fri 21/08/09 9:46 AM , "LaneD130" <LaneD130@...> wrote:

          > Well you'll be glad... no hang on, most of you probably don't care
          > that my shiny new SheevaPlug has arrived. However, for those of you
          > in the UK and still awaiting yours, don't lose hope; they took their
          > time, but they are on their way!
          > I remembered reading that Marvell were donating a SheevaPlug to the
          > NSLU2 dev. team back in March, and that Brian Zhou was organizing an
          > Optware feed. However, I can't see any mention on the nslu2-linux.org
          > site. Please would a kind-hearted gent point me in the right
          > direction?
          > Also, it would be great to hear how others are getting on with
          > theirs. I would put myself very firmly in the "noob" category, so any
          > hints, tips, suggestions, etc. would be very gratefully received.
          > TIA, Davii

          Can't say about optware for sure, but I think that one of the existing optware feeds works just fine on the Sheevaplug.

          The development versions of SlugOS currently run on the Sheevaplug - although installation is largely manual. If someone has interest in SlugOS on the plug, I might finish that work up.

          Mike (mwester)
        • starnamer
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 22, 2009
            I only came across the NSLU2 a few months back while looking for a NAS device to replace an aged Linux file server. The NSLU2 running Debian can do so much more, but it looks like the SheevaPlug its successor.

            I, for one, would be interested in hearing how things progress, particularly if a standard distro (Debian?) can be got going to the extent that the average user could just flash the device and be up and running. The extra flash and ram would certainly help!

            Is there a blog? Group list?
          • LrdShaper
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 22, 2009
              starnamer-2 wrote:

              > Is there a blog? Group list?

              There's a forum for it on http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php and
              can already run a number of Linux distros. Martin Michlmayr has posted a
              simple how-to to manually install Debian on the SheevaPlug here
              http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/ and a fast growing wiki
              also exists here http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page

              Brian also posted in the forum on how to go about using Optware on the plug
              http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=74.0

              Cheers!
            • Gregg C Levine
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
                Hello!
                I agree.
                It happens that the industrious people at the Slackware family of sites have
                successfully ported that distribution over to this particular platform. This
                therefore concludes my efforts to be porting Slackware to the NSLU2, but at
                some point I will be obtaining one of the units, probably also a developer's
                platform.....

                I'll probably continue to be here so as to provide advice and everything
                else.
                --
                Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                Behalf
                > Of LrdShaper
                > Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:47 AM
                > To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] SheevaPlug
                >

                > starnamer-2 wrote:
                > >
                > > Is there a blog? Group list?
                > >

                > There's a forum for it on http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php and
                > can already run a number of Linux distros. Martin Michlmayr has posted a
                > simple how-to to manually install Debian on the SheevaPlug here
                > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/ and a fast growing wiki
                > also exists here http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page
                >
                > Brian also posted in the forum on how to go about using Optware on the
                plug
                > http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=74.0
                >
                > Cheers!
                > --
              • slackline
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 24, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:

                  > Hello!
                  > I agree.
                  > It happens that the industrious people at the Slackware family of sites have
                  > successfully ported that distribution over to this particular platform.

                  HowTo and discussions on installing Gentoo on the SheevaPlug in the forums at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-749438.html
                • David Given

                    LaneD130 wrote:
                    [...]
                    > Also, it would be great to hear how others are getting on with theirs.

                    I've had mine for a while now, and it's quite happily running the
                    www.cowlark.com server stack running off a home made SSD made up of USB
                    keys. It's a decently powerful server (although Java on it is a pig ---
                    the only JVM I've found that will run servlets is OpenJDK, which is
                    strictly interpreted on ARM and rather slow), and it's really nice to
                    see the stack of hardware with no moving parts.

                    However, that's not to say it's problem-free. In particular:

                    - - the default u-boot's USB implementation only slightly works. It can
                    take minutes to probe the USB tree, and it's *extremely* unreliable
                    certain USB keys, and can get fatally confused by certain combinations
                    of devices. (I applied the u-boot upgrade that enables booting of the
                    MMC card, which solved all my problems.)

                    - - The SheevaPlug's USB hardware is generally a bit dodgy. I run RAID0
                    with 4x16GB USB keys; it took some time before I found a hub that worked
                    reliably for this, and even then, some devices behave generally funny (I
                    use a USB ethernet adaptor for my internal network, and it's got a bit
                    of a tendency to fail under load). Speaking to an engineer who's worked
                    with Marvell SoC devices, apparently most of them suffer from this.

                    - - Aside from hardware issues, the SheevaPlug is extremely limited by
                    only having one USB port. This is very restrictive to I/O throughput.
                    RAID5 on four devices is basically infeasible; there's just not enough
                    bandwidth available (RAID5 on 3 devices writes at ~20MB/s. RAID5 on 4
                    devices writes at 0.5MB/s). You may want to consider an OpenRD, which is
                    twice the price and still has support issues but does at least have SATA.

                    Of course, I'm running mine as a full server off an external hard drive.
                    If you're want to use a cut-down system running off the internal flash,
                    a lot of these problems go away.

                    - --
                    David Given
                    dg@...