Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Marvell SheevaPlug Port --- Has anybody seen this?

  • David Given
    • CN
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
        On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 01:20:53 +0100, David Given wrote:

        > BTW, today I finally turned off my server PC in favour of the
        > SheevaPlug. My entire system, web site, email, IMAP, spam detection, the
        > lot, is now running off it. The energy consumption went from 90W to 35W.

        35W! Wow, that is an hog energy compared to a slug at 6W with a network drive
        :) No wonder, the reports, the plug has been running rather hot.

        When you added the modules, which stream did you use? aptware? Is there an
        easy way for me to look at that stream listing from my slugosbe, to see which
        modules are available and what versions. Thanks.

        Cordially,
        CN
      • David Given
        • CN
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2009
            On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:05:14 +0100, David Given wrote:

            > Actually, that's the consumption for the entire stack --- the SheevaPlug
            > itself is using 5W or so. That includes two USB hard drives, a powered
            > USB hub, an ADSL modem and a WRT54GL. The SheevaPlug itself uses about
            > half the power of an NSLU2 (although this will go up if you add lots of
            > USB devices).

            David, That is good to know. But the 5w (that you say) as the pwr of
            SheevaPlug is definitely not half that of the Slug. Long time ago I had precisely
            measured the power usage and listed here. Even though the pwr supply is rated
            at 5v, 2amp that is (almost) enough to supply two attached notebook drives. If I
            remember correctly, the slug itself takes only about 2 or 3 watts.
          • David Given