Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Marvell SheevaPlug Port --- Has anybody seen this?

  • David Given
    • CN
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
        --Original Message Text---
        From: David Given
        Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:28:55 +0100
        > I don't know whether it's possible to install optware packages on a full
        Debian installation, but I assume so. You may not need to, however.

        David, For slugosbe, the aptware apache version had limitations for my site, and the original builder of that limited apache could/did not want to continue. That is why I had to go with the optware pkgs. There were a number of other odds and ends pkgs which simply were not in the apt stream, at least ~3 years ago.

        >AFAIK, unless they've changed something, all SlugOSes boot from flash
        (so the the kernel and root filesystem are on the flash device). They
        may then optionally switch to using an alternative root filesystem on an
        external disk if that's what you want, which I think is what your setup is.

        What is the parent distribution of slugosbe, is that Debian?

        >You *may* want to hold off a bit --- there's a device from Marvell
        called the OpenRD coming up. It's the same processor as the SheevaPlug
        but in a bigger box and has more ports --- VGA, seven USB ports (the
        SheevaPlug only has one!), etc. Hopefully two Ethernet. Projected price
        is $200 as opposed to the SheevaPlug's $100. OTOH, my SheevaPlug is
        doing pretty well...

        Well for me, smaller the better :) I am into micro pwr versions... What about the second usb mini on the dev system of SheevaPlug? Is that not available as a general purpose usb? They would have the non development system, with only one usb port, which is even smaller (the same size as the old wall warts), and this my final target -- expected $40, and this is my interest for the SheevaPlug.

        Cordially,
        CN

      • David Given
        • CN
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
            On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 01:20:53 +0100, David Given wrote:

            > BTW, today I finally turned off my server PC in favour of the
            > SheevaPlug. My entire system, web site, email, IMAP, spam detection, the
            > lot, is now running off it. The energy consumption went from 90W to 35W.

            35W! Wow, that is an hog energy compared to a slug at 6W with a network drive
            :) No wonder, the reports, the plug has been running rather hot.

            When you added the modules, which stream did you use? aptware? Is there an
            easy way for me to look at that stream listing from my slugosbe, to see which
            modules are available and what versions. Thanks.

            Cordially,
            CN
          • David Given
            • CN
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2009
                On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:05:14 +0100, David Given wrote:

                > Actually, that's the consumption for the entire stack --- the SheevaPlug
                > itself is using 5W or so. That includes two USB hard drives, a powered
                > USB hub, an ADSL modem and a WRT54GL. The SheevaPlug itself uses about
                > half the power of an NSLU2 (although this will go up if you add lots of
                > USB devices).

                David, That is good to know. But the 5w (that you say) as the pwr of
                SheevaPlug is definitely not half that of the Slug. Long time ago I had precisely
                measured the power usage and listed here. Even though the pwr supply is rated
                at 5v, 2amp that is (almost) enough to supply two attached notebook drives. If I
                remember correctly, the slug itself takes only about 2 or 3 watts.
              • David Given