Re: [nslu2-linux] Ubuntu distro for NSLU2

  • Drew Gibson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
      CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:

      > I saw it in this announcement, but it seems that the links are no
      > longer valid:
      > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-April/000562.html

      Start here...
      <http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/jaunty/main/>

      and I think you need to get to here...
      <http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/jaunty/main/installer-armel/current/images/ixp4xx/netboot/>

      regards,

      Drew
    • CN
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009

        I am a long term user of slugosBE; have two servers running Apache/php, with
        many user logins from the web (private, password protected access only).
        Have not made any upgrades or significant changes for a couple of year. Have
        not visited this forum for a while either

        Yesterday at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco, I came across the very
        new Marvell SheevaPlug, available for $99:

        http://www.plugcomputer.org/

        It is quite faster than the slug, has 512M memory (!) and the network port is
        Gigabit (!). I wonder if anybody here has ported a slug type distribution to that
        one? Since the development plug has two usb ports, it should work as is for all
        applications of the current slug. The final product (non development kit) has
        only one usb port and is expected to be at about $40 or so. More importantly,
        it is open source from the get go and they are trying to sell this for
        development of various home embedded applications.

        At their small forum, I have noticed a user, bzhou with a product app. I assume
        it is the very helpful Brian of the same forum. If so, Brian, how easy would it be
        to bring a slugosbe type on that one, with similar modules?

        Cordially,
        CN
      • Sam
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
          Yup, quite a few people have started buying them..

          Brian Zhou has recieved one for development. There is a make file in the Optware SVN feeds for it, along with various other files and such.

          They come with Ubuntu 9.04 at stock, and Martin Michlmayr is working on Debian for it (requires an image tarball atm i believe)

          http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/

          Sam Reed

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am a long term user of slugosBE; have two servers running Apache/php, with
          > many user logins from the web (private, password protected access only).
          > Have not made any upgrades or significant changes for a couple of year. Have
          > not visited this forum for a while either
          >
          > Yesterday at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco, I came across the very
          > new Marvell SheevaPlug, available for $99:
          >
          > http://www.plugcomputer.org/
          >
          > It is quite faster than the slug, has 512M memory (!) and the network port is
          > Gigabit (!). I wonder if anybody here has ported a slug type distribution to that
          > one? Since the development plug has two usb ports, it should work as is for all
          > applications of the current slug. The final product (non development kit) has
          > only one usb port and is expected to be at about $40 or so. More importantly,
          > it is open source from the get go and they are trying to sell this for
          > development of various home embedded applications.
          >
          > At their small forum, I have noticed a user, bzhou with a product app. I assume
          > it is the very helpful Brian of the same forum. If so, Brian, how easy would it be
          > to bring a slugosbe type on that one, with similar modules?
          >
          > Cordially,
          > CN

        • CN
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2009
            Hi Sam,

            Thank you very much for the info. This is is very encouraging.

            You mentioned several members here are ordering... I could not find any other thread about the SheevaPlug in our forum. Are there ?

            Cordially, Chacko

            --Original Message Text---
            From: Sam
            Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:38:45 -0000

            Yup, quite a few people have started buying them..

            Brian Zhou has received one for development. There is a make file in the Optware SVN feeds for it, along with various other files and such.

            They come with Ubuntu 9.04 at stock, and Martin Michlmayr is working on Debian for it (requires an image tarball atm i believe)

            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/

            Sam Reed

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am a long term user of slugosBE; have two servers running Apache/php, with
            > many user logins from the web (private, password protected access only).
            > Have not made any upgrades or significant changes for a couple of year. Have
            > not visited this forum for a while either
            >
            > Yesterday at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco, I came across the very
            > new Marvell SheevaPlug, available for $99:
            >
            > http://www.plugcomputer.org/
            >
            > It is quite faster than the slug, has 512M memory (!) and the network port is
            > Gigabit (!). I wonder if anybody here has ported a slug type distribution to that
            > one? Since the development plug has two usb ports, it should work as is for all
            > applications of the current slug. The final product (non development kit) has
            > only one usb port and is expected to be at about $40 or so. More importantly,
            > it is open source from the get go and they are trying to sell this for
            > development of various home embedded applications.
            >
            > At their small forum, I have noticed a user, bzhou with a product app. I assume
            > it is the very helpful Brian of the same forum. If so, Brian, how easy would it be
            > to bring a slugosbe type on that one, with similar modules?
            >
            > Cordially,
            > CN

          • David Given
            • CN
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
                David,

                I have read Martin's instructions, and looked at many of the threads at the plugforum.

                I currently use in my slugosbe, aptware modules, and quite a few optware ones such as full apache, and others which were not available in the aptware. Is optware apache, as an example, available on your plug/debian? [Pardon me if I am way off, I need to go brush up my terminology about distributions and what runs currently on slugosbe.]

                >OpenSlug, of course, is probably going to use flash instead

                So there is an effort currently for getting OpenSlug to plug? I have been away from this forum for so long, I am forgetting most of the terminology...

                How does that compare with the slugosbe I am running? Is the kernel in slugosbe in flash or is it coming from my 20Gb usb disk? I reboot every so often... After installing slugosbe, I had made only a couple of small changes in the flash of each of my my two servers, so that when I run the same usb disk image (or even same physical disk) from either server, the server identity such as the local port and name, is recognizable by me.

                I am almost ready to order a Sheevaplug. I just want to get a better feel as to there wont be a deal breaker in porting my extensive script based custom web server with image processing, secure login, ... to the plug environment.

                Cordially,
                CN

                On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:00:11 +0100, David Given wrote:
                CN wrote:
                [...]
                > You mentioned several members here are ordering... I could not find any
                > other thread about the SheevaPlug in our forum. Are there ?

                The closest thing to a SheevaPlug community is the terrible web forum
                here: http://openplug.org/plugforum

                There's been occasional discussions of it here, but nothing of any great
                significance.

                I'm running Debian on mine --- Martin Michlmayr's instructions work
                well. (In fact, this message ought to be sent out through mine, cross
                fingers.) It's all fairly straightforward apart from u-boot's USB
                support being extremely dodgy so that it's basically not feasible to
                load the kernel and ramdisk from USB. OpenSlug, of course, is probably
                going to use flash instead so that won't be a problem.

              • David Given
                • CN
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
                    --Original Message Text---
                    From: David Given
                    Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:28:55 +0100
                    > I don't know whether it's possible to install optware packages on a full
                    Debian installation, but I assume so. You may not need to, however.

                    David, For slugosbe, the aptware apache version had limitations for my site, and the original builder of that limited apache could/did not want to continue. That is why I had to go with the optware pkgs. There were a number of other odds and ends pkgs which simply were not in the apt stream, at least ~3 years ago.

                    >AFAIK, unless they've changed something, all SlugOSes boot from flash
                    (so the the kernel and root filesystem are on the flash device). They
                    may then optionally switch to using an alternative root filesystem on an
                    external disk if that's what you want, which I think is what your setup is.

                    What is the parent distribution of slugosbe, is that Debian?

                    >You *may* want to hold off a bit --- there's a device from Marvell
                    called the OpenRD coming up. It's the same processor as the SheevaPlug
                    but in a bigger box and has more ports --- VGA, seven USB ports (the
                    SheevaPlug only has one!), etc. Hopefully two Ethernet. Projected price
                    is $200 as opposed to the SheevaPlug's $100. OTOH, my SheevaPlug is
                    doing pretty well...

                    Well for me, smaller the better :) I am into micro pwr versions... What about the second usb mini on the dev system of SheevaPlug? Is that not available as a general purpose usb? They would have the non development system, with only one usb port, which is even smaller (the same size as the old wall warts), and this my final target -- expected $40, and this is my interest for the SheevaPlug.

                    Cordially,
                    CN

                  • David Given
                    • CN
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
                        On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 01:20:53 +0100, David Given wrote:

                        > BTW, today I finally turned off my server PC in favour of the
                        > SheevaPlug. My entire system, web site, email, IMAP, spam detection, the
                        > lot, is now running off it. The energy consumption went from 90W to 35W.

                        35W! Wow, that is an hog energy compared to a slug at 6W with a network drive
                        :) No wonder, the reports, the plug has been running rather hot.

                        When you added the modules, which stream did you use? aptware? Is there an
                        easy way for me to look at that stream listing from my slugosbe, to see which
                        modules are available and what versions. Thanks.

                        Cordially,
                        CN
                      • David Given
                        • CN
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 7, 2009
                            On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:05:14 +0100, David Given wrote:

                            > Actually, that's the consumption for the entire stack --- the SheevaPlug
                            > itself is using 5W or so. That includes two USB hard drives, a powered
                            > USB hub, an ADSL modem and a WRT54GL. The SheevaPlug itself uses about
                            > half the power of an NSLU2 (although this will go up if you add lots of
                            > USB devices).

                            David, That is good to know. But the 5w (that you say) as the pwr of
                            SheevaPlug is definitely not half that of the Slug. Long time ago I had precisely
                            measured the power usage and listed here. Even though the pwr supply is rated
                            at 5v, 2amp that is (almost) enough to supply two attached notebook drives. If I
                            remember correctly, the slug itself takes only about 2 or 3 watts.
                          • David Given