Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: dcled + slug

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2009
      deejay_q wrote:
      > root@Q102:~# dcled
      > Couldn't find the device. Was expecting to find a readable
      > /dev/usb/hiddev* that matched vendor 1d34 and product 13. Is the
      > device plugged in? Do you have permission?
      >
      > dmesg gives this output:
      >
      > usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      >
      > There is an option in dcled to specify the exact path to the specific hiddev.
      >
      > How do I find the specific hiddev?

      You probably don't have the correct kernel modules installed. I don't
      know which you would need for that device, but I would start with
      kernel-module-hid and kernel-module-usbhid.

      Mike (mwester)
    • deejay_q
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2009
        > You probably don't have the correct kernel modules installed. I don't
        > know which you would need for that device, but I would start with
        > kernel-module-hid and kernel-module-usbhid.
        >
        > Mike (mwester)

        Hey Mike

        Thanks alot for your help, I installed the 2 kernel modules that you suggested and now the device is recognised and the software works, cheers.

        The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?

        Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)

        Kind Regards
      • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2009
          deejay_q wrote:

          > The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?
          >
          > Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)

          Where did you get it from (what feeds)? If it's from the SlugOS native
          feeds, then we'll need to update the recipe in OE, if its from the
          optware feeds, then we update the optware recipe. The latter is easier,
          generally.

          Mike (mwester)
        • Brian Zhou
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "deejay_q" <celtictoe@...> wrote:

            > The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?
            >
            > Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)
            >
            > Kind Regards

            Should be in the feed soon
            http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
            http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
            http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202

            libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).

            To start build it yourself for slugos5be, you need to build slugos 5.3 (at least toolchain) starting from the master makefile
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
            with "make build-slugosbe-5.3-beta-image"

            Then, for optware/slugos5be dcled build, try "make setup-optware-slugos5be; cd optware/slugos5be; make dcled-ipk"

            Feel free to ask in #nslu2-linux on freenode.

            Cheers,

            -Brian
          • deejay_q
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2009
              > Should be in the feed soon
              > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
              > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
              > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202
              >
              > libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).

              Hi Brian

              Thank you for your latest update to the feed. This version only seems to recognise half of the display device now though.

              When sending a message to the display it only displays the upper half of the letters.

              Any ideas why this might occur in this latest version?

              Kind Regards
            • Brian Zhou
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2009
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "deejay_q" <celtictoe@...> wrote:

                > > Should be in the feed soon
                > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
                > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
                > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202
                > >
                > > libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).
                > >

                > Hi Brian
                >
                > Thank you for your latest update to the feed. This version only seems to recognise half of the display device now though.
                >
                > When sending a message to the display it only displays the upper half of the letters.
                >
                > Any ideas why this might occur in this latest version?
                >
                > Kind Regards

                I have no idea as I don't have this device at all. Please discuss with dcled author on how to troubleshoot. Ideally you want to be able to build the package yourself, this would allow you to build different versions with or without debug.

                -Brian