Re: dcled + slug

  • deejay_q
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2009
      Hi Brian

      Thanks for this, I now have dcled installed on slugos.

      However, when I try to run dcled I get the following error:

      root@Q102:~# dcled
      Couldn't find the device. Was expecting to find a readable
      /dev/usb/hiddev* that matched vendor 1d34 and product 13. Is the
      device plugged in? Do you have permission?

      dmesg gives this output:

      usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

      There is an option in dcled to specify the exact path to the specific hiddev.

      How do I find the specific hiddev?

      Kind Regards

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      > I just packaged it as optware ipk, will be in the feeds in a couple
      > hours. It can only compile on linux 2.6. So it won't work on unslung.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "deejay_q" <celtictoe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello
      > >
      > > A kind soul has written up a little program to allow control of a
      > > dreamcheeky usb led messageboard via linux. <a
      > > href="http://www.last-
      > outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html">dcled~outpost</a>
      > >
      > > I think this would be a great addidition to my Slug, but not sure if
      > > it will compile. Could somebody take a look at the source and see
      > if
      > > this is viable? The first few lines of the source are:
      > >
      > > #include <asm/types.h>
      > > #include <fcntl.h>
      > > #include <linux/hiddev.h>
      > > #include <stdio.h>
      > > #include <stdlib.h>
      > > #include <sys/ioctl.h>
      > > #include <sys/stat.h>
      > > #include <sys/types.h>
      > > #include <unistd.h>
      > > #include <errno.h>
      > > #include <string.h>
      > > #include <getopt.h>
      > > #include <time.h>

    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2009
        deejay_q wrote:
        > root@Q102:~# dcled
        > Couldn't find the device. Was expecting to find a readable
        > /dev/usb/hiddev* that matched vendor 1d34 and product 13. Is the
        > device plugged in? Do you have permission?
        >
        > dmesg gives this output:
        >
        > usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
        > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
        >
        > There is an option in dcled to specify the exact path to the specific hiddev.
        >
        > How do I find the specific hiddev?

        You probably don't have the correct kernel modules installed. I don't
        know which you would need for that device, but I would start with
        kernel-module-hid and kernel-module-usbhid.

        Mike (mwester)
      • deejay_q
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2009
          > You probably don't have the correct kernel modules installed. I don't
          > know which you would need for that device, but I would start with
          > kernel-module-hid and kernel-module-usbhid.
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          Hey Mike

          Thanks alot for your help, I installed the 2 kernel modules that you suggested and now the device is recognised and the software works, cheers.

          The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?

          Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)

          Kind Regards
        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2009
            deejay_q wrote:

            > The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?
            >
            > Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)

            Where did you get it from (what feeds)? If it's from the SlugOS native
            feeds, then we'll need to update the recipe in OE, if its from the
            optware feeds, then we update the optware recipe. The latter is easier,
            generally.

            Mike (mwester)
          • Brian Zhou
            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "deejay_q" <celtictoe@...> wrote:

              > The version of dcled that is available for the Slug is 1.2 but the current version of the program (available at http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/dcled/index.html) is now at 1.7 Is there anyone that could upgrade the dcled version in the feeds?
              >
              > Or even point me in the right direction so that I could learn a bit more :-)
              >
              > Kind Regards

              Should be in the feed soon
              http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
              http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
              http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202

              libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).

              To start build it yourself for slugos5be, you need to build slugos 5.3 (at least toolchain) starting from the master makefile
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
              with "make build-slugosbe-5.3-beta-image"

              Then, for optware/slugos5be dcled build, try "make setup-optware-slugos5be; cd optware/slugos5be; make dcled-ipk"

              Feel free to ask in #nslu2-linux on freenode.

              Cheers,

              -Brian
            • deejay_q
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2009
                > Should be in the feed soon
                > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
                > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
                > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202
                >
                > libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).

                Hi Brian

                Thank you for your latest update to the feed. This version only seems to recognise half of the display device now though.

                When sending a message to the display it only displays the upper half of the letters.

                Any ideas why this might occur in this latest version?

                Kind Regards
              • Brian Zhou
                Message 7 of 9 , May 30, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "deejay_q" <celtictoe@...> wrote:

                  > > Should be in the feed soon
                  > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10200
                  > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10201
                  > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/10202
                  > >
                  > > libhid configure script seems to be written with certain version of bash as assumption, needed to patch/sed it to build (see optware/make/libhid.mk line 118 - 120).
                  > >

                  > Hi Brian
                  >
                  > Thank you for your latest update to the feed. This version only seems to recognise half of the display device now though.
                  >
                  > When sending a message to the display it only displays the upper half of the letters.
                  >
                  > Any ideas why this might occur in this latest version?
                  >
                  > Kind Regards

                  I have no idea as I don't have this device at all. Please discuss with dcled author on how to troubleshoot. Ideally you want to be able to build the package yourself, this would allow you to build different versions with or without debug.

                  -Brian