Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: slug usb controller hurt?

  • Sébastien Lorquet
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2009

      I had some time today, and I ran some more tests. ( I have no serial console yet)

      No progress with the default setup.

      However I noticed that if I remove the ohci_hcd and ehci_hcd modules, the modprobe uhci_hcd, then I can plug my usb stick in the DISK2 usb port without the slug freezing. This is definitely a progress even if the DISK1 port does not work anymore (I can find a hub).

      So my question is: how can I prevent ohci from being loaded at startup and load uhci instead?

      I searched in udev configuration but there's nothing about usb bus drivers. What about the kernel command line?

      Ah, okay.
      Just found /linuxrc that calls /boot/disk that sources /etc/defaults/modulefunctions
      Just edited it to load uhci instead of ohci.

      now rebooting
      flashing green-yellow... seems to boot... seems long now... too long, removing power and rebooting without stick... turnup...

      okay, now i'm booted on my memstick in DISK2. ohci is loaded, i didn't expect that, but I did not notice any lockup for the last 10 minutes.
      The DISK1 port is disabled but I'll find a hub instead.

      So, I've found a workaround. But it's far from perfect. I keep thinking the usb controllers suffered from something I didn't notice.

      Sebastien

      On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM, bullfrog528 <yahoo@...> wrote:
      Hi

      I suspect you have a faulty power supply.

      For more information see paragraph 2 here

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

      The USB power pins are wired directly to the internal power supply for the slug - via the power on/off circuit , hence why some people power there slug on using the usb socket bypassing the internal on/off circuit rather than using the power socket and pressing the on/off button.

      See methods 6,7,8 and 12 here

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn

      Bullfrog

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

      > > Soldering the four pin header was a pain. The ground and +5 pin are tied
      > > to a large copper area, so it is hard to get enough heat to the joint on
      > > those two pins.
      >

      > Yes, soldering the header was a pain indeed, because 3 of 4 holes were
      > filled with solder. Fortunately my company has a small electronics lab where
      > I could find desoldering material + a desktop magnifier =)
      > And I had to insist a bit to get these two soldered :)
      >

      > > Here is a sample of the boot messages (using "minicom -o") :
      > >

      > Thanks for the sample log output, i'll have a try ASAP.
      >
      > Sebastien

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: