Cross compiling for arm-linux under windows

  • punanipirat
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2009
      Hello,

      Is it maybe possible to crosscompile for an arm-linux target under windows?

      Thanks for any hints.

      regards,
      Peter
    • gopher3_8
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2009
        Pretty sure it is ... but I don't know enough to help you. I was trying to get the newest aMule to work under Unslung. Apparently, there's a problem with crypto++, and someone had written in a post somewhere that he had gotten it to work by recompiling without crypto optimization. So after reading a few of the wiki entries, I had Ubuntu set up and running on my windows machine under VirtualBox. It's a pretty neat setup actually. I installed the development package following the wiki pages again, and build a simple application (once again, the one they recommended; I think it was "which" or something like that).

        Anyway, I then moved on to trying to cross-compile aMule and create an ipk, which is what I set it up for, but I was getting a lot of errors. After a few hours, I just decided it wasn't worth learning just for aMule (given that I already have eMule on a windows machine). So I gave up until I have more motivation to continue. I'm pretty sure it works well though.

        Did learn about VirtualBox, which is a pretty neat tool.

        Good luck.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "punanipirat" <4art@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Is it maybe possible to crosscompile for an arm-linux target under windows?
        >
        > Thanks for any hints.
        >
        > regards,
        > Peter

      • punanipirat
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25, 2009
          Thanks for the hint,

          but I'm searching for a possibility to not use a vbox-linux (doing this right now..

          Maybe some hints for cross compilation for arm-linux under windows?
        • David Given
          • punanipirat
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2009
              > When I have to do this I usually use CodeSourcery Lite. It's a bit of a
              > pig finding the free version on their website:

              Hello, thank you, seems to be working fine!

              Are there any limitations regarding the lite-version? didnt find sth. on the website...
            • David Given
              • Mike (mwester)
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26, 2009
                  David Given wrote:

                  > Glad to hear it. (I don't know why it's so hard to get gcc binaries for
                  > a particular architecture --- even on Linux it's annoyingly difficult...)

                  Because building a reliably working toolchain is a difficult task,
                  involving several layers of bootstrapping, and countless patches and
                  bugfixes to the code. Some of the patches are general in nature, many
                  are specific to the target system, and for non-core-Linux distros (which
                  includes cygwin on Windows) there are very large and challenging
                  technical issues to address.

                  One of the reasons OE continues to be used for the support of Unslung
                  and the development of SlugOS is that it provides us with working,
                  tested toolchains.

                  Mike (mwester)