Can't see some directories in NTFS

  • vhadiant
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15 1:25 PM

      I've just bought an NSLU2 and Unslung it to Unslung 6.10 Beta and installed Transmission.

      I plugged in my NTFS external hdd, 500GB that I've been using for a while and have a lot of data in it.

      All seems to be working OK, except that NSLU2 can't list some directories. 2 in fact. I'm at loss why I can't display these two directories, none of the content is special.

      So when I'm in /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 and I do:

      # ls
      ls: ./Music: No such file or directory

      I can't cd to Music. I can see the directory and access the files OK when I plug my external drive to my Windows XP laptop.

      Not exactly sure where to start looking for this issue. Anyone can help?
    • John Balicki
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17 10:56 AM
        SNLU2 has very poor NTFS support. Eventually if you would write things to the hard drive you would risk data loss. Convert the NTFS to either FAT32 or EXT3.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "vhadiant" <victor@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've just bought an NSLU2 and Unslung it to Unslung 6.10 Beta and installed Transmission.
        >
        > I plugged in my NTFS external hdd, 500GB that I've been using for a while and have a lot of data in it.
        >
        > All seems to be working OK, except that NSLU2 can't list some directories. 2 in fact. I'm at loss why I can't display these two directories, none of the content is special.
        >
        > So when I'm in /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 and I do:
        >
        > # ls
        > ls: ./Music: No such file or directory
        >

        > I can't cd to Music. I can see the directory and access the files OK when I plug my external drive to my Windows XP laptop.
        >
        > Not exactly sure where to start looking for this issue. Anyone can help?

      • jbalicki10
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17 11:29 AM
          The NSLU2 has very poor NTFS support. If you can, use ext3 or fat32. I had
          the same problem. Others have tried NTFS3G without success for very large
          hard drvies with a lot of data.
          Sorry, hope this helps.

          vhadiant wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I've just bought an NSLU2 and Unslung it to Unslung 6.10 Beta and
          > installed Transmission.
          >
          > I plugged in my NTFS external hdd, 500GB that I've been using for a while
          > and have a lot of data in it.
          >
          > All seems to be working OK, except that NSLU2 can't list some directories.
          > 2 in fact. I'm at loss why I can't display these two directories, none of
          > the content is special.
          >
          > So when I'm in /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 and I do:
          >
          > # ls
          > ls: ./Music: No such file or directory
          >

          > I can't cd to Music. I can see the directory and access the files OK when
          > I plug my external drive to my Windows XP laptop.
          >
          > Not exactly sure where to start looking for this issue. Anyone can help?

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17 1:20 PM
            jbalicki10 wrote:
            > The NSLU2 has very poor NTFS support. If you can, use ext3 or fat32. I had
            > the same problem. Others have tried NTFS3G without success for very large
            > hard drvies with a lot of data.
            > Sorry, hope this helps.

            I think you mean "Unslung on NSLU2", not the NSLU2 in general. In fact,
            SlugOS works very nicely with the ntfs3g drivers.

            Mike (mwester)

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17 1:49 PM
              Mike,
              Yes your right. I was talking about the Unslung on NSLU2. I read of people
              using the NTFS3G on Unslung without much success. So your saying that NTFS3G
              works perfectly on SlugOs? Very interesting. Maybe I should upgrade my
              Unslung NSLU2 to SlugOS. I know the Linksys NTFS drivers are crap.

              Here is what I am referring to about NTFS3G not working correctly: (See the
              last Updates)
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildNTFS3G

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17 4:15 PM
                jbalicki10 wrote:
                > Mike,
                > Yes your right. I was talking about the Unslung on NSLU2. I read of people
                > using the NTFS3G on Unslung without much success. So your saying that NTFS3G
                > works perfectly on SlugOs? Very interesting. Maybe I should upgrade my
                > Unslung NSLU2 to SlugOS. I know the Linksys NTFS drivers are crap.
                >
                > Here is what I am referring to about NTFS3G not working correctly: (See the
                > last Updates)
                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildNTFS3G

                For Unslung 6.10, I did invest rather a significant amount of time to
                see if we could get ntfs3g working. But there's a known limitation with
                ntfs3g and fuse on old 2.4 kernels that can result in some data loss in
                certain extreme bad conditions (kernel crashes, etc). That killed the
                effort to get ntfs3g and fuse working on Unslung since those extreme bad
                conditions are actually pretty much commonplace with Linksys firmware
                (and therefore Unslung). So it seemed pointless to continue, as it
                would have been just as bad as the Linksys NTFS drivers in the end.

                On SlugOS, do be careful what you install -- I think the in-kernel ntfs
                driver is also available (kernel-module-ntfs), but don't use it.
                Uninstall it if you have it, and install ntfs3g instead; it will pull in
                all the dependencies you need. You'll have to do the mount of the
                partition yourself, but you'd have to do that anyway since on the NSLU2
                we don't have a graphical session with a user logged in (that's how most
                desktop Linux systems determine what user id to map to with the mount
                options).

                Let me know if you encounter any issues, and we'll get those sorted out.

                Mike (mwester)