Re: slug usb controller hurt?

  • sdm485
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
      This sounds like a power supply problem as a lot of USB sticks have a capacitor that draws a lot of power at the time of insertion. You might try starting it with the stick in place to see if symptoms change.
      Steve

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just left my slug up and running a few days, nothing special, just a small
      > usb stick connected.
      >
      > This morning, I wanted to ssh into in. Impossible to connect. The first
      > thing I try is power down, remove the usb stick, boot from flash.
      > It was all ok, the slug is working.
      >
      > Then, I plug my usb stick in usb port 2 (next to ethernet socket)
      >
      > This results in immediate lockup, ssh connection is lost.
      > The only thing I can do is remove the power and restart.
      > The same results happens if I connect ANY usb stick in ANY port.
      > I also tried to reflash with a fresh slugosbe 5.3 binary.
      >
      > I suspect the usb controller is dead or hurt. But how is it possible? heat?
      > The slug was not moved, not shocked, not in a hot place, etc
      >
      > I hope I'll find a oops on the serial console.
      > I don't have one now, i'm going to try to solder a row of pins and get a
      > 3.3v rs232 adapter. I hope FTDI USBMODs are ok with 3.3V, this could save me
      > a lot of worries.
      >
      > Any idea on this sudden usb death?
      >
      > Sebastien
      >
      > PS: the problem is partial, when I plug a smart card reader in port 1 (next
      > to power) I get:
      > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      >
      > and when I plug the same card reader in port 2 (next to ethernet) I get the
      > slug locked.
      > Argh, Sometimes the slug dies when I plug the reader in port 1 too.

    • Sébastien Lorquet
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
        when I start with the stick in place, the only thing I get for now is a led sequence.

        - push power-on
        - pwr led turns yellow
        - ethernet led flashes green
        - all leds off
        - leds power, disk 1, disk2 flash green in two scrolling movements
        - power=yellow, disk1=disk2=green (fixed) while ethernet has small flashes
        - all leds off
        - power led: one short yellow flash
        - all leds off

        during all this time the led inside the power button stays on and does not stop after all small leds turn off.

        nothing more :(

        this probably means something but i don't know what.

        Sebastien

        On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM, sdm485 <steve@...> wrote:
        This sounds like a power supply problem as a lot of USB sticks have a capacitor that draws a lot of power at the time of insertion. You might try starting it with the stick in place to see if symptoms change.
        Steve

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just left my slug up and running a few days, nothing special, just a small
        > usb stick connected.
        >
        > This morning, I wanted to ssh into in. Impossible to connect. The first
        > thing I try is power down, remove the usb stick, boot from flash.
        > It was all ok, the slug is working.
        >
        > Then, I plug my usb stick in usb port 2 (next to ethernet socket)
        >
        > This results in immediate lockup, ssh connection is lost.
        > The only thing I can do is remove the power and restart.
        > The same results happens if I connect ANY usb stick in ANY port.
        > I also tried to reflash with a fresh slugosbe 5.3 binary.
        >
        > I suspect the usb controller is dead or hurt. But how is it possible? heat?
        > The slug was not moved, not shocked, not in a hot place, etc
        >
        > I hope I'll find a oops on the serial console.
        > I don't have one now, i'm going to try to solder a row of pins and get a
        > 3.3v rs232 adapter. I hope FTDI USBMODs are ok with 3.3V, this could save me
        > a lot of worries.
        >
        > Any idea on this sudden usb death?
        >
        > Sebastien
        >
        > PS: the problem is partial, when I plug a smart card reader in port 1 (next
        > to power) I get:
        > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
        > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
        >
        > and when I plug the same card reader in port 2 (next to ethernet) I get the
        > slug locked.
        > Argh, Sometimes the slug dies when I plug the reader in port 1 too.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David Given
        • Sébastien Lorquet
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
            Okay, then it's easy, I've another slug at home, with an usb stick too (it has been there for more than one year!). I'll try this evening :)

            I'm surprised of this failure. Is there any visual clue the PSU has fried if I disassemble it?
            Is it repairable?

            Many thanks.
            Sebastien.

            PS: rofl, with a colleague we just tried to load the psu with a small value resistor and measured the voltage. it was enough powerful to fry a 0.25 watt 3.3 ohm resistor ( ^_^ ) but now I get the christmas tree led sequence even with no usb device attached :)
            We fried the psu even more :)

            The final anwer will come this evening :)

            Moreover I just grabbed a 3A 5V psu from an old unused device. Just have to adapt the right connector :)

            On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM, David Given <dg@...> wrote:

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • ernstjanoud
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
              Sounds like a dying power supply to me. The fact that the LED on it stays on doesn't mean a thing. I reckon the power supply cannot deliver the surge that occurs when the USB stick is connected. As a result there probably is a drop in voltage causing the NSLU2 to crash.

              If you have a voltmeter try what happens if you put a load on the power supply; it should deliver a steady 5 Volts upto a load of 2 amps (10 Watt). For instance a 6V 10 Watt lightbulb could be a load.

              Or ofcourse try a different power adapter.

              Ernst

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                If the PSU would be ok, a 3,3 ohm resistor would have to dissipate 7,6 Watt, so a 0,25 Watt resistor would reach its end of life very, very soon :-)

                I hope you weren't holding the resistor in your hands :-)

                Ernst

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                  Thanks for the confirmation.

                  Yes, for a few days this slug was connected to both a contact (not contactless) smart card reader AND the stick.
                  Both devices are reported to use 100 mA by windows xp.
                  This leaves 1.8A for the slug itself *if* the psu really delivers 2A.

                  eheh, this page http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug is reporting 1.8A too, not bad!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                    On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM, ernstjanoud <ernstoud@...> wrote:
                    If the PSU would be ok, a 3,3 ohm resistor would have to dissipate 7,6 Watt, so a 0,25 Watt resistor would reach its end of life very, very soon :-)

                    We had in mind to use a power resistor for this purpose but we could not remember where it was. So we sacrified a 1/4 W , which did the job for ... erm... 4 seconds :-)

                    I hope you weren't holding the resistor in your hands :-)

                    Yes We were :-) But it wasn't much more than a small "pop", and a slight burning odour, nothing harmful :-)

                    nothing to compare with a reverse polarized, over volted (tantale) capacitor :-)

                    (disclaimer: don't try what I just said at home without protecting yourself behind a window :-) )

                    Sebastien
                  • Sébastien Lorquet
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                      Just soldered a 4-pin header on the slug PCB to access the serial port... \o/
                      Now I have to wait until this evening to get a FTDI adapter...

                      For now I managed to get syslog output messages to a remote host an the last message I get after plugging my stick in the power socket side port:

                      <14>Apr  9 10:40:17 kernel: usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

                      and in the ethernet side port:

                      <14>Apr  9 10:45:20 kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

                      We tracked the power voltage on the usb sockets using a voltmeter but we did not notice any voltage drop... It may be more subtle than that.

                      Couldn't wait this evening, I just adapted the new PSU and started the slug. Same problem. The slug locks up seconds after I plug the usb key.

                      I'm confused now.

                      If I remove the two modules ehci_hcd and ohci_hcd, the slug does not lock up when I plug the stick. So it's not electrical-only.

                      Sebastien.
                    • David Given
                      • Sébastien Lorquet
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                          Well, my next step will be to power the usb device via a 5 volt line directly taken from the power socket. This need a hacked usb cable, which I have.

                          The next next step will be to monitor the serial line for kernel messages.
                          Can someone confirm to me that the kernel log messages are sent on the internal uart available via the 4-pin header?

                          Sebastien.

                          PS: have a look at what happens when I plug my smart card reader:

                          *plug in port 1
                          <14>Apr  9 17:31:55 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
                          <14>Apr  9 17:31:55 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:31:58 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2

                          *plug in port 1
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:02 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:02 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:04 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3

                          *plug in port 1
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:07 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:08 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:09 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 4

                          *plug in port 1
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:12 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:12 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:14 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 5

                          *plug in port 1
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:17 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:17 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:18 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 6

                          *plug in port 2
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:21 kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:21 kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *unplug it
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:24 kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 2

                          *plug in port 2
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:26 kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
                          <14>Apr  9 17:32:26 kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

                          *dead

                        • Kirk Wallace
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                            On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 18:09 +0200, Sébastien Lorquet wrote:

                            > Well, my next step will be to power the usb device via a 5 volt line
                            > directly taken from the power socket. This need a hacked usb cable,
                            > which I have.
                            >
                            > The next next step will be to monitor the serial line for kernel
                            > messages.
                            > Can someone confirm to me that the kernel log messages are sent on the
                            > internal uart available via the 4-pin header?
                            >
                            > Sebastien.

                            I recently did the CA-42 modification:
                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort

                            Using eBay:
                            http://shop.ebay.com/?&_nkw=ca-42

                            Soldering the four pin header was a pain. The ground and +5 pin are tied
                            to a large copper area, so it is hard to get enough heat to the joint on
                            those two pins.

                            Here is a sample of the boot messages (using "minicom -o") :
                            ---------------
                            +Ethernet eth0: MAC address
                            00:04:5a:0f:ea:58
                            IP: 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway:
                            192.168.0.1
                            Default server: 0.0.0.0, DNS server IP: 0.0.0.0

                            RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
                            Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

                            Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
                            Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

                            RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
                            FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
                            == Executing boot script in 2.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
                            RedBoot> boot;exec 0x01d00000
                            have eRcOmM
                            copy kernel code from flash to RAM
                            copy ramdisk file from flash to RAM
                            run kernel
                            Using base address 0x01d00000 and length 0x0000a664

                            APEX Boot Loader 1.4.15.2 -- Copyright (c) 2004,2005,2006,2007 Marc
                            Singer

                            APEX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. It is free software and you
                            are welcome to redistribute it under certain circumstances.
                            For details, refer to the file COPYING in the program source.

                            apex => mem:0x00200000+0xa654 (42580 bytes)
                            env => nor:0x7c000+15k (empty)

                            Use the command 'help help' to get started.

                            # copy -s $kernelsrc $bootaddr
                            # copy -s fis://kernel 0x00008000
                            1441760 bytes transferred
                            # copy -s $ramdisksrc $ramdiskaddr
                            # copy -s fis://ramdisk 0x01000000
                            6291440 bytes transferred
                            # wait 10 Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
                            Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
                            # boot
                            ATAG_HEADER
                            ATAG_MEM: start 0x00000000 size 0x02000000
                            ATAG_CMDLINE: (55 bytes) 'console=ttyS0,115200 rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f
                            noirqdebug'
                            ATAG_INITRD2: start 0x01000000 size 0x005ffff0
                            ATAG_END
                            Booting kernel at 0x00008000...
                            Uncompressing
                            Linux............................................................................................. done, booting the kernel.
                            [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
                            [ 0.000000] Linux version 2.6.26-1-ixp4xx (Debian 2.6.26-13lenny2)
                            (dannf@...) (gcc version 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian
                            4.1.2-25)) #1 Sat 9
                            [ 0.000000] CPU: XScale-IXP42x Family [690541f1] revision 1
                            (ARMv5TE), cr=0000397f
                            [ 0.000000] Machine: Linksys NSLU2
                            [ 0.000000] Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
                            [ 0.000000] CPU0: D VIVT undefined 5 cache
                            [ 0.000000] CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte
                            lines, 32 sets
                            [ 0.000000] CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte
                            lines, 32 sets
                            [ 0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.
                            Total pages: 8128
                            [ 0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200
                            rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f noirqdebug
                            [ 0.000000] Unknown boot option `rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f': ignoring
                            [ 0.000000] IRQ lockup detection disabled
                            [ 0.000000] PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
                            [42949372.960000] Console: colour dummy device 80x30
                            [42949372.960000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384
                            bytes)
                            [42949372.960000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192
                            bytes)
                            [42949372.960000] Memory: 32MB = 32MB total
                            [42949372.960000] Memory: 23256KB available (2636K code, 290K data, 116K
                            init)
                            [42949373.190000] Security Framework initialized
                            [42949373.190000] SELinux: Disabled at boot.
                            [42949373.190000] Capability LSM initialized
                            [42949373.190000] Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
                            [42949373.190000] Initializing cgroup subsys ns
                            [42949373.190000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuacct
                            [42949373.190000] Initializing cgroup subsys devices
                            [42949373.190000] CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
                            [42949373.190000] net_namespace: 652 bytes
                            [42949373.200000] NET: Registered protocol family 16
                            [42949373.200000] IXP4xx: Using 16MiB expansion bus window size
                            [42949373.210000] NSLU2: Using MAC address 00:04:5a:0f:ea:58 for port 0
                            [42949373.210000] PCI: IXP4xx is host
                            [42949373.210000] PCI: IXP4xx Using direct access for memory space
                            [42949373.210000] PCI: bus0: Fast back to back transfers disabled
                            [42949373.210000] dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.0 on pci bus
                            [42949373.210000] dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.1 on pci bus
                            [42949373.220000] dmabounce: registered device 0000:00:01.2 on pci bus
                            [42949373.270000] NET: Registered protocol family 2
                            [42949373.370000] IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0,
                            4096 bytes)
                            [42949373.370000] TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1,
                            8192 bytes)
                            [42949373.370000] TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096
                            bytes)
                            [42949373.370000] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind
                            1024)
                            [42949373.370000] TCP reno registered
                            [42949373.400000] NET: Registered protocol family 1
                            [42949373.400000] checking if image is initramfs... it is
                            [42949380.750000] Freeing initrd memory: 6143K
                            [42949380.750000] NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.97 (double
                            precision)
                            [42949380.760000] audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
                            [42949380.760000] type=2000 audit(7.800:1): initialized
                            [42949380.760000] VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
                            [42949380.760000] Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096
                            bytes)
                            [42949380.760000] JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (SUMMARY) �© 2001-2006 Red
                            Hat, Inc.
                            [42949380.760000] msgmni has been set to 57
                            [42949380.770000] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4
                            loaded (major 253)
                            [42949380.770000] io scheduler noop registered
                            [42949380.770000] io scheduler anticipatory registered
                            [42949380.770000] io scheduler deadline registered
                            [42949380.770000] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
                            [42949380.830000] Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 2 ports,
                            IRQ sharing disabled
                            [42949380.840000] serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xc8000000 (irq = 15) is a
                            XScale
                            [42949380.840000] console [ttyS0] enabled
                            [42949381.180000] serial8250.0: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xc8001000 (irq = 13) is a
                            XScale
                            [42949381.230000] brd: module loaded
                            [42949381.230000] IXP4XX-Flash.0: Found 1 x16 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit
                            bank
                            [42949381.240000] Intel/Sharp Extended Query Table at 0x0031
                            [42949381.250000] Using buffer write method
                            [42949381.250000] cfi_cmdset_0001: Erase suspend on write enabled
                            [42949381.260000] Searching for RedBoot partition table in
                            IXP4XX-Flash.0 at offset 0x7e0000
                            [42949381.360000] 6 RedBoot partitions found on MTD device
                            IXP4XX-Flash.0
                            [42949381.370000] Creating 6 MTD partitions on "IXP4XX-Flash.0":
                            [42949381.370000] 0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
                            [42949381.380000] 0x00040000-0x00060000 : "SysConf"
                            [42949381.390000] 0x00060000-0x00080000 : "Loader"
                            [42949381.400000] 0x00080000-0x001e0000 : "Kernel"
                            [42949381.410000] 0x001e0000-0x007e0000 : "Ramdisk"
                            [42949381.420000] 0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS directory"
                            [42949381.430000] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
                            [42949381.440000] i2c /dev entries driver
                            [42949381.460000] rtc-x1205 0-006f: chip found, driver version 1.0.8
                            [42949381.470000] rtc-x1205 0-006f: rtc core: registered rtc-x1205 as
                            rtc0
                            [42949381.480000] i2c-gpio i2c-gpio.0: using pins 7 (SDA) and 6 (SCL)
                            [42949381.490000] IXP4xx Watchdog Timer: heartbeat 60 sec
                            [42949381.500000] Registered led device: nslu2:green:ready
                            [42949381.500000] Registered led device: nslu2:red:status
                            [42949381.510000] Registered led device: nslu2:green:disk-1
                            [42949381.520000] Registered led device: nslu2:green:disk-2
                            [42949381.530000] NET: Registered protocol family 26
                            [42949381.540000] TCP cubic registered
                            [42949381.540000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
                            [42949381.550000] XScale DSP coprocessor detected.
                            [42949381.560000] registered taskstats version 1
                            [42949381.560000] rtc-x1205 0-006f: setting system clock to 2009-04-09
                            16:44:40 UTC (1239295480)
                            [42949381.570000] Freeing init memory: 116K
                            Begin: Loading essential drivers ... [42949382.920000] SCSI subsystem
                            initialized
                            [42949383.140000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
                            [42949383.150000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
                            [42949383.160000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
                            [42949383.230000] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
                            [42949383.230000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
                            [42949383.240000] USB Mass Storage support registered.
                            [42949383.500000] PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.2 (0140 -> 0142)
                            [42949383.500000] ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: EHCI Host Controller
                            [42949383.510000] ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: new USB bus registered,
                            assigned bus number 1
                            [42949383.550000] ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: irq 26, io mem 0x48002000
                            [42949383.570000] ehci_hcd 0000:00:01.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00,
                            driver 10 Dec 2004
                            [42949383.580000] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                            [42949383.580000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
                            [42949383.590000] hub 1-0:1.0: 5 ports detected
                            [42949383.700000] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b,
                            idProduct=0002
                            [42949383.710000] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2,
                            SerialNumber=1
                            [42949383.720000] usb usb1: Product: EHCI Host Controller
                            [42949383.720000] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.26-1-ixp4xx ehci_hcd
                            [42949383.730000] usb usb1: SerialNumber: 0000:00:01.2
                            [42949384.000000] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
                            address 2
                            [42949384.150000] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                            [42949384.160000] scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
                            [42949384.170000] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=058f,
                            idProduct=6369
                            [42949384.180000] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
                            SerialNumber=3
                            [42949384.190000] usb 1-1: Product: Mass Storage Device
                            [42949384.190000] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Generic
                            [42949384.200000] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 058F0O1111B
                            done.
                            Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... [42949389.210000] scsi
                            0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Multi Flash Reader 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
                            [42949391.160000] Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type
                            methods
                            [42949394.470000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7999488 512-byte hardware sectors
                            (4096 MB)
                            [42949394.480000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
                            [42949394.480000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
                            [42949394.500000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7999488 512-byte hardware sectors
                            (4096 MB)
                            [42949394.510000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
                            [42949394.510000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
                            [42949394.520000] sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 < sda5 >
                            [42949395.650000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
                            done.
                            Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin:
                            Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
                            Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
                            [42949398.170000] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
                            [42949398.180000] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
                            Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
                            done.
                            Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
                            INIT: version 2.86 booting
                            Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd[42949408.910000] udevd
                            version 125 started
                            .
                            Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.
                            Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...[42949426.570000] IXP4xx Queue
                            Manager initialized.
                            [42949426.970000] input: ixp4xx beeper as /class/input/input0
                            [42949427.030000] PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.0 (0140 -> 0142)
                            [42949427.040000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: OHCI Host Controller
                            [42949427.040000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: new USB bus registered,
                            assigned bus number 2
                            [42949427.050000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.0: irq 28, io mem 0x48000000
                            [42949427.230000] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                            [42949427.230000] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
                            [42949427.240000] hub 2-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
                            [42949427.290000] eth0: MII PHY 1 on NPE-B
                            [42949427.390000] usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b,
                            idProduct=0001
                            [42949427.390000] usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2,
                            SerialNumber=1
                            [42949427.400000] usb usb2: Product: OHCI Host Controller
                            [42949427.410000] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.26-1-ixp4xx ohci_hcd
                            [42949427.410000] usb usb2: SerialNumber: 0000:00:01.0
                            [42949427.420000] PCI: enabling device 0000:00:01.1 (0140 -> 0142)
                            [42949427.430000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: OHCI Host Controller
                            [42949427.430000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: new USB bus registered,
                            assigned bus number 3
                            [42949427.440000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.1: irq 27, io mem 0x48001000
                            [42949427.630000] usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                            [42949427.630000] hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
                            [42949427.640000] hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
                            [42949427.750000] usb usb3: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b,
                            idProduct=0001
                            [42949427.750000] usb usb3: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2,
                            SerialNumber=1
                            [42949427.760000] usb usb3: Product: OHCI Host Controller
                            [42949427.770000] usb usb3: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.26-1-ixp4xx ohci_hcd
                            [42949427.770000] usb usb3: SerialNumber: 0000:00:01.1
                            [42949428.250000] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
                            address 2
                            [42949428.500000] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
                            [42949428.520000] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=22b8,
                            idProduct=2ac2
                            [42949428.530000] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
                            SerialNumber=0
                            [42949428.540000] usb 3-1: Product: Motorola A41x/V32x
                            [42949428.540000] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Motorola, Inc.
                            [42949435.900000] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
                            [42949435.940000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
                            [42949435.940000] cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for
                            USB modems and ISDN adapters
                            done.
                            Setting the system clock.
                            Activating swap...[42949439.810000] Adding 240932k swap on /dev/sda5.
                            Priority:-1 extents:1 across:240932k
                            done.
                            Checking root file system...fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
                            e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
                            /dev/sda2: clean, 12147/220752 files, 111890/881566 blocks
                            done.
                            [42949441.500000] EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
                            FATAL: Module rtc_dev not found.
                            Setting the system clock.
                            Cleaning up ifupdown....
                            Checking file systems...fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
                            e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
                            /dev/sda1: clean, 19/112448 files, 20731/224878 blocks
                            done.
                            Setting kernel variables (/etc/sysctl.conf)...done.
                            Mounting local filesystems...done.
                            Activating swapfile swap...done.
                            Setting up networking....
                            Configuring network interfaces...[42949454.640000] firmware: requesting
                            NPE-B
                            [42949454.980000] NPE-B: firmware functionality 0x0, revision 0x2:1
                            [42949454.990000] eth0: link down
                            SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
                            [42949457.990000] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
                            wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
                            [42949460.120000] NET: Registered protocol family 10
                            [42949460.130000] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
                            SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
                            SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
                            wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
                            wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
                            Failed to bring up wlan0.
                            done.
                            INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
                            Starting enhanced syslogd: rsyslogd.
                            Starting system message bus: dbus.
                            Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
                            Starting periodic command scheduler: crond.

                            Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 LKG0FEA58 ttyS0

                            LKG0FEA58 login:

                            ----------------------
                            Kirk
                          • Sébastien Lorquet
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 9, 2009
                              Soldering the four pin header was a pain. The ground and +5 pin are tied
                              to a large copper area, so it is hard to get enough heat to the joint on
                              those two pins.

                              Yes, soldering the header was a pain indeed, because 3 of 4 holes were filled with solder. Fortunately my company has a small electronics lab where I could find desoldering material + a desktop magnifier =)
                              And I had to insist a bit to get these two soldered :)

                              Here is a sample of the boot messages (using "minicom -o") :

                              Thanks for the sample log output, i'll have a try ASAP.

                              Sebastien
                            • bullfrog528
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
                                Hi

                                I suspect you have a faulty power supply.

                                For more information see paragraph 2 here

                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                                The USB power pins are wired directly to the internal power supply for the slug - via the power on/off circuit , hence why some people power there slug on using the usb socket bypassing the internal on/off circuit rather than using the power socket and pressing the on/off button.

                                See methods 6,7,8 and 12 here

                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn

                                Bullfrog

                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

                                > > Soldering the four pin header was a pain. The ground and +5 pin are tied
                                > > to a large copper area, so it is hard to get enough heat to the joint on
                                > > those two pins.
                                >

                                > Yes, soldering the header was a pain indeed, because 3 of 4 holes were
                                > filled with solder. Fortunately my company has a small electronics lab where
                                > I could find desoldering material + a desktop magnifier =)
                                > And I had to insist a bit to get these two soldered :)
                                >

                                > > Here is a sample of the boot messages (using "minicom -o") :
                                > >

                                > Thanks for the sample log output, i'll have a try ASAP.
                                >
                                > Sebastien

                              • Sébastien Lorquet
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 7, 2009

                                  I had some time today, and I ran some more tests. ( I have no serial console yet)

                                  No progress with the default setup.

                                  However I noticed that if I remove the ohci_hcd and ehci_hcd modules, the modprobe uhci_hcd, then I can plug my usb stick in the DISK2 usb port without the slug freezing. This is definitely a progress even if the DISK1 port does not work anymore (I can find a hub).

                                  So my question is: how can I prevent ohci from being loaded at startup and load uhci instead?

                                  I searched in udev configuration but there's nothing about usb bus drivers. What about the kernel command line?

                                  Ah, okay.
                                  Just found /linuxrc that calls /boot/disk that sources /etc/defaults/modulefunctions
                                  Just edited it to load uhci instead of ohci.

                                  now rebooting
                                  flashing green-yellow... seems to boot... seems long now... too long, removing power and rebooting without stick... turnup...

                                  okay, now i'm booted on my memstick in DISK2. ohci is loaded, i didn't expect that, but I did not notice any lockup for the last 10 minutes.
                                  The DISK1 port is disabled but I'll find a hub instead.

                                  So, I've found a workaround. But it's far from perfect. I keep thinking the usb controllers suffered from something I didn't notice.

                                  Sebastien