Re: [Debian] [lenny] apt-get update problem

  • opt12001
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

      > * opt12001 <opt12001@...> [2009-03-29 01:04]:
      > > Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2978kB]
      > > 98% [6 Packages gzip 23175168] [8 Sources 2843564/2978kB 95%] 81.0kB/s 1s
      > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
      > >
      > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
      > > Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
      > > Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
      >
      > Strange. I don't really know what's going on, but could you try
      > another mirror? i.e. edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace ftp.at
      > with ftp.fr and then run 'apt-get update'.
      >
      > --
      > Martin Michlmayr
      > http://www.cyrius.com/

      Thanks
      I tried many mirrors using http or ftp before posting my question, but it was always the same.
      I eventually solved my problem trying one more time the clean /var/lib/apt/lists (which I did several times before) and trying again with your original mirror and it worked !
      I do not know what was the problem and I do not dare to "apt-get update" again for the moment, nor to "apt-get upgrade"...
    • firestorm1325
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2009
        Hi, Sorry to bump an old thread but I ran into the same problem trying to install Lenny as well. When installing using the directions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html I could not get past downloading Packages.gz because the installer said it was corrupt. I tried many different mirrors all with the same result. So I went the "Unpack tar ball route" (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html - thanks, Martin!) and I now have a working Lenny installation but I cannot apt-get update. When I do, I get the same sort of errors that opt12001 was getting:

        ===
        # apt-get update
        Get:1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [197B]
        Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release [40.8kB]
        Get:3 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [394B]
        Get:4 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release [73.6kB]
        Get:5 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages [109kB]
        Get:6 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages [6706kB]
        Get:7 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Sources [31.8kB]
        Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2980kB]
        84% [6 Packages gzip 23490560] [8 Sources 1402522/2980kB 47%] 88.5kB/s 17s
        gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

        gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
        Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
        Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
        Fetched 9941kB in 2min23s (69.5kB/s)
        W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz Hash Sum mismatch

        W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

        E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

        ===

        I have not been able to solve this and it prevents me from being able to use the system. I tried `apt-get dist-upgrade` anyway, but the kernel flash seems to have gone bad (or I'm missing a step) because the slug couldn't reboot and I had to unpack the tarball and re-flash the original Lenny kernel.

        > I eventually solved my problem trying one more time the clean /var/lib/apt/lists (which I did several times before) and trying again with your original mirror and it worked !
        > I do not know what was the problem and I do not dare to "apt-get update" again for the moment, nor to "apt-get upgrade"...

        I tried this route also but it does not seem to be working either. Did you find out what was wrong? Does your apt-get work now? How can I fix this?

        Thanks,

        Tim