Re: Where did usermod go?

  • bommeej
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:

      > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 05:03:12PM -0000, bommeej wrote:
      > > root@SLUG:~# grep users /etc/group
      > > users:*:100:mike,bill,bob
      > > root@SLUG:~# groups bill
      > > bill : bill
      >
      > Did you try re-booting?
      >
      > After editing /etc/group by hand, I sometimes find that logging out
      > and logging back in is sufficient to propagate the new information.
      > But, sometimes, a reboot is needed for everything to update.
      >
      > John

      Yeah...not effect. Starting to wonder if a diversion script is required for SlugOS/BE to make this work...
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
        bommeej wrote:
        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:
        >> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 05:03:12PM -0000, bommeej wrote:
        >>> root@SLUG:~# grep users /etc/group
        >>> users:*:100:mike,bill,bob
        >>> root@SLUG:~# groups bill
        >>> bill : bill
        >> Did you try re-booting?
        >>
        >> After editing /etc/group by hand, I sometimes find that logging out
        >> and logging back in is sufficient to propagate the new information.
        >> But, sometimes, a reboot is needed for everything to update.
        >>
        >> John
        >>

        > Yeah...not effect. Starting to wonder if a diversion script is required for SlugOS/BE to make this work...

        Is this still not working? Did you try the suggestions I sent earlier?

        Diversion scripts are for Unslung, in order to work around the Linksys
        startup sequence and their tools. SlugOS is a standard Linux system;
        diversion scripts are completely unnecessary, and in fact there's
        nothing to divert.

        Tinylogin is what is reading the passwd and group files at login; it's
        not a very feature-rich program, but tinylogin has been around for a
        long time, and it's known to work just fine -- and reading a passwd and
        group file is pretty basic.

        So, that means that in all probability, your group file is damaged --
        open it in a proper text editor, and check it for funky characters (like
        MSDOS line endings), and proper structure.

        If the group file is not damaged, then the question would be how do you
        know it's not working? I don't think you've ever mentioned how you have
        determined that -- what is it that is not working correctly for you, and
        does that same thing work correctly on another Linux system?

        Regards,
        Mike (mwester)