[Debian] [lenny] apt-get update problem

  • opt12001
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2009
      I installed lenny on a USB key using Martin Michlmayr method ( http://www.cyrius.com/ ). I have a problem with apt-update which always returns an error. I reinstalled 3 times the system, trying to change the /etc/apt/sources.list with other servers but it is always the same.

      Get:1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [197B]
      Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release [40.8kB]
      Get:3 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [386B]
      Get:4 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release [63.2kB]
      Get:5 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages [71.2kB]
      Get:6 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages [6700kB]
      Get:7 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Sources [22.0kB]
      Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2978kB]
      98% [6 Packages gzip 23175168] [8 Sources 2843564/2978kB 95%] 81.0kB/s 1s
      gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

      gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
      Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
      Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
      99% [8 Sources gzip 4075520] 48.1kB/s 0s
      gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
      Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources
      Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
      Fetched 9876kB in 2min8s (76.9kB/s)
      W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error

      code (1)

      W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/source/Sources.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code

      (1)

      E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2009
        * opt12001 <opt12001@...> [2009-03-29 01:04]:
        > Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2978kB]
        > 98% [6 Packages gzip 23175168] [8 Sources 2843564/2978kB 95%] 81.0kB/s 1s
        > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
        >
        > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
        > Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
        > Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

        Strange. I don't really know what's going on, but could you try
        another mirror? i.e. edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace ftp.at
        with ftp.fr and then run 'apt-get update'.

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * opt12001 <opt12001@...> [2009-03-29 01:04]:
          > > Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2978kB]
          > > 98% [6 Packages gzip 23175168] [8 Sources 2843564/2978kB 95%] 81.0kB/s 1s
          > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
          > >
          > > gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
          > > Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
          > > Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
          >
          > Strange. I don't really know what's going on, but could you try
          > another mirror? i.e. edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace ftp.at
          > with ftp.fr and then run 'apt-get update'.
          >
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Thanks
          I tried many mirrors using http or ftp before posting my question, but it was always the same.
          I eventually solved my problem trying one more time the clean /var/lib/apt/lists (which I did several times before) and trying again with your original mirror and it worked !
          I do not know what was the problem and I do not dare to "apt-get update" again for the moment, nor to "apt-get upgrade"...
        • firestorm1325
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2009
            Hi, Sorry to bump an old thread but I ran into the same problem trying to install Lenny as well. When installing using the directions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html I could not get past downloading Packages.gz because the installer said it was corrupt. I tried many different mirrors all with the same result. So I went the "Unpack tar ball route" (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html - thanks, Martin!) and I now have a working Lenny installation but I cannot apt-get update. When I do, I get the same sort of errors that opt12001 was getting:

            ===
            # apt-get update
            Get:1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [197B]
            Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release [40.8kB]
            Get:3 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [394B]
            Get:4 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny Release [73.6kB]
            Get:5 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages [109kB]
            Get:6 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages [6706kB]
            Get:7 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Sources [31.8kB]
            Get:8 http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Sources [2980kB]
            84% [6 Packages gzip 23490560] [8 Sources 1402522/2980kB 47%] 88.5kB/s 17s
            gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

            gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
            Err http://ftp.at.debian.org lenny/main Packages
            Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
            Fetched 9941kB in 2min23s (69.5kB/s)
            W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/lenny/updates/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz Hash Sum mismatch

            W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/binary-armel/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

            E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

            ===

            I have not been able to solve this and it prevents me from being able to use the system. I tried `apt-get dist-upgrade` anyway, but the kernel flash seems to have gone bad (or I'm missing a step) because the slug couldn't reboot and I had to unpack the tarball and re-flash the original Lenny kernel.

            > I eventually solved my problem trying one more time the clean /var/lib/apt/lists (which I did several times before) and trying again with your original mirror and it worked !
            > I do not know what was the problem and I do not dare to "apt-get update" again for the moment, nor to "apt-get upgrade"...

            I tried this route also but it does not seem to be working either. Did you find out what was wrong? Does your apt-get work now? How can I fix this?

            Thanks,

            Tim