NFS performance and other problems with 5.3 beta

  • t.brinkmann@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
      Hi!

      For quite a while, I've been curious about the benefits of EABI, so I decided to install SlugOS 5.3 beta yesterday. I strictly followed the wiki (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem etc.). To cut a long story short - I'm back at SlugOS 4.8. Here's why:

      *NFS performance is considerably worse in 5.3 than in 4.8. In 4.8, my DVB-T STB wrote 2.56 MB/s to a NFS share on the slug, under 5.3 the write rate decreased to a mere 0.86 MB/s which is useless for my purposes.
      *Mount behaviour was stranger than ever. The system itself resided on a memstick which was consistently recognized as /dev/sda1, however, my two HDDs changed back and forth between /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1. That's old news, of course, and so I tried the mount-by-label method described in the wiki. Unfortunately, this lead to each drive being mounted twice - first where the slug wanted it and second were I needed it.
      *Samba 3.2.8 is a pain. Although this isn't strictly a slug issue, I assume other people will run into problems as well. For some reason beyond mere authentication (lanman vs. ntlm1 vs. ntlm2), I didn't even see the slug in my network neighbourhood (neither in Vista nor XP nor Win98SE). I've set up Samba including DFS on various platforms before and after reverting to SlugOS 4.8, basic configuration took less than 15 minutes, but in 5.3 I spent about 3 hours until I gave up.

      Please don't get me wrong - I truly appreciate the developers' ongoing work and the updated information on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS, but in the first place, I need a working fileserver with straightforward configuration. And yes, I RTFMed - if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to set up SlugOS 4.8 either.

      Regards,

      T. Brinkmann
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
        t.brinkmann@... wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > For quite a while, I've been curious about the benefits of EABI, so I decided to install SlugOS 5.3 beta yesterday. I strictly followed the wiki (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem etc.). To cut a long story short - I'm back at SlugOS 4.8. Here's why:
        >
        > *NFS performance is considerably worse in 5.3 than in 4.8. In 4.8, my DVB-T STB wrote 2.56 MB/s to a NFS share on the slug, under 5.3 the write rate decreased to a mere 0.86 MB/s which is useless for my purposes.

        Was the hard drive on the slug mounted with the "sync" option? That's
        the default when udev mounts the device. Please also provide details on
        the devices used, and the output from the mount command so we can take a
        look at this.

        > *Mount behaviour was stranger than ever. The system itself resided on a memstick which was consistently recognized as /dev/sda1, however, my two HDDs changed back and forth between /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1. That's old news, of course, and so I tried the mount-by-label method described in the wiki. Unfortunately, this lead to each drive being mounted twice - first where the slug wanted it and second were I needed it.

        The strange behavior was actually SlugOS 4.8 -- it's fixed now! :-)

        If you don't want the devices automatically mounted for you, you need to
        blacklist them in /etc/udev/mount.blacklist. That you may not have had
        to do that in 4.8 was a bug, and not a feature... I looked at trying to
        turn it into a feature, but it's just not possible to create consistent
        behavior due to the various ways it is possible to mount devices anymore.

        A side effect of this auto-mounting is that the default options for
        things mounted in /media is "sync" -- meaning that it goes really really
        slowly.

        > *Samba 3.2.8 is a pain. Although this isn't strictly a slug issue, I assume other people will run into problems as well. For some reason beyond mere authentication (lanman vs. ntlm1 vs. ntlm2), I didn't even see the slug in my network neighbourhood (neither in Vista nor XP nor Win98SE). I've set up Samba including DFS on various platforms before and after reverting to SlugOS 4.8, basic configuration took less than 15 minutes, but in 5.3 I spent about 3 hours until I gave up.

        Yes. IMO Samba 3.2 is a fabulous step forward for the international
        data-center servers. It sucks for small devices. To start with, 20+ MB
        to install. Then it doesn't even work -- you need to install locales,
        and configure them all.

        I have it working - of course. But it was truly horrible to get it working.

        Please complain to the Samba folks. :(

        > Please don't get me wrong - I truly appreciate the developers' ongoing work and the updated information on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS, but in the first place, I need a working fileserver with straightforward configuration. And yes, I RTFMed - if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to set up SlugOS 4.8 either.

        Glad you appreciate it! I'm betting its relatively trivial to get the
        NFS performance fixed (might even be a side-effect of the lack of a
        blacklist entry that would do it). If you can share some information,
        we can take a look at it.

        > Regards,
        >
        > T. Brinkmann

        Mike (mwester)
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
          t.brinkmann@... wrote:

          > *NFS performance is considerably worse in 5.3 than in 4.8. In 4.8, my DVB-T STB wrote 2.56 MB/s to a NFS share on the slug, under 5.3 the write rate decreased to a mere 0.86 MB/s which is useless for my purposes.

          Just as a test, I get 1.7MB/s via NFS to a slow USB stick on the NSLU2:

          $ dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=32
          32+0 records in
          32+0 records out
          33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 19.3238 s, 1.7 MB/s

          I think there's something not right on your setup. :-)

          Mike (mwester)
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
            Mike (mwester) wrote:
            > t.brinkmann@... wrote:
            >
            >> *NFS performance is considerably worse in 5.3 than in 4.8. In 4.8, my DVB-T STB wrote 2.56 MB/s to a NFS share on the slug, under 5.3 the write rate decreased to a mere 0.86 MB/s which is useless for my purposes.
            >
            > Just as a test, I get 1.7MB/s via NFS to a slow USB stick on the NSLU2:
            >
            > $ dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=32
            > 32+0 records in
            > 32+0 records out
            > 33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 19.3238 s, 1.7 MB/s
            >
            > I think there's something not right on your setup. :-)

            Ok, just so we don't end up spreading concern needlessly throughout the
            community, I scrounged up a disk drive, and re-ran the tests.

            I guessed that you left everything pretty much default, and nfs exported
            /media/sd<whatever>:

            $ dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=30
            30+0 records in
            30+0 records out
            31457280 bytes (31 MB) copied, 41.832 s, 752 kB/s

            I get about what you quoted -- pretty sad.

            So, on the slug, I mounted the drive the way it would be mounted if you
            didn't use the auto-mounting udev mechanism (specifically, I removed the
            "sync" option from the mount options):

            $ dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=30
            30+0 records in
            30+0 records out
            31457280 bytes (31 MB) copied, 8.01544 s, 3.9 MB/s

            So, right back up to 3.9 MB/s -- there are few other NFS options that
            one can tune or tweak (I got up to 4.0 MB/s), but that's pretty reasonable.

            -Mike (mwester)
          • t.brinkmann@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
              Before you start hitting me - I can't provide 5.3 output or logs
              because I've reinstalled 4.8 on the same memstick, so everything's
              lost. I simply need a working system and I won't have time to give
              SlugOS 5.3 another try until next weekend (provided I'll find all the
              necessary information about Samba in advance). Nevertheless, I'll try
              my best to answer.

              "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
              >Was the hard drive on the slug mounted with the "sync" option?
              That's the default when udev mounts the device.

              The only option I set in fstab was "defaults", so if "sync" is a
              default, the answer is yes.

              >Please also provide details on the devices used, and the output from
              the mount command so we can take a look at this.

              The first device is a Medion 250GB HDD. dmesg says: WDC WD25
              00JB-55GVA0 08.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0. There's a single ext3 partition
              on it.
              The second device is a Toshiba 1TB HDD. dmesg: TOSHIBA USB
              3.5"-HDD 100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2. There's a single ext2 partition on
              it.

              >If you don't want the devices automatically mounted for you, you
              need to blacklist them in /etc/udev/mount.blacklist.

              Oops, I didn't know that. Automount is fine with me as long as
              filesystems end up in the same place every time. If not, my scripts
              might cause severe damage.

              >Then it doesn't even work -- you need to install locales, and
              configure them all.
              I think I got that one right - I followed
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowToUseInternationalCharactersOnOpenSlug.
              With German characters like ä, ö, ü and ß, that's a must I was aware of.

              > Please complain to the Samba folks. :(
              I might...

              I've just read your second reply. I agree that there may have been a
              mistake in my setup - most likely in connection with mounting the
              drives. NFS itself can hardly be misconfigured - /etc/exports isn't
              that hard and it should be the same for both SlugOS 4.8 and 5.3.

              Regards,

              T. Brinkmann
            • Brian Zhou
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                If I understand it correctly, the benefit of EABI is mostly in floating point performance.

                -Brian

              • t.brinkmann@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

                  > If I understand it correctly, the benefit of EABI is mostly in floating point performance.
                  >
                  > -Brian

                  True, but I guess that most of us need the fileservers on the slug in the first place. Improvements in other areas are highly welcome but less necessary. In the last paragraph of http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MP3Encoding there's some information on improved mp3 encoding - I guess that's a task I won't use my slug for...

                  T. Brinkmann
                • lexj1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > data-center servers. It sucks for small devices. To start with, 20+ MB
                    > to install. Then it doesn't even work -- you need to install locales,
                    > and configure them all.
                    >
                    > I have it working - of course. But it was truly horrible to get it working.
                    >
                    > Please complain to the Samba folks. :(
                    >
                    > > Please don't get me wrong - I truly appreciate the developers' ongoing work and the updated information on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS, but in the first place, I need a working fileserver with straightforward configuration. And yes, I RTFMed - if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to set up SlugOS 4.8 either.
                    >
                    > Glad you appreciate it! I'm betting its relatively trivial to get the
                    > NFS performance fixed (might even be a side-effect of the lack of a
                    > blacklist entry that would do it). If you can share some information,

                    Thanks for the post, your a lifesaver! I have been searching for a fix to my slow NFS speeds for most of a day.

                    Adding my partitions to the /etc/udev/mount.blacklist fixed the problem. Now I am getting almost 4MB/s, up from 850 kB/s. Also, after it was fixed the sync vs async doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on the speed.

                    Lex