Need a how-to: Backup an Unslung System

  • threeeyedtoad
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2009
      I've read through just about every page on the wiki regarding backup strategies, and am amazed there isn't a step-by-step instruction on how to create a backup image of an unslung system. The closest I've found is "CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2", but this focuses on creating a backup of the data in flash memory, in order to re-flash a stock NSLU2. I'm interested in creating a bit-for-bit backup of the data on the 1Gb USB thumb drive that contains my (finally, at long last) fully configured unslung system.

      I have a second drive (NTFS, I believe) in the "Disk 1" slot, and the USB drive I boot from in the "Disk 2" slot. Is there a simple way of creating a comprehensive, bit-for-bit backup image that could be completely restored to a replacment USB stick, if/when the original stick goes south?

      If this instruction already lives on the wiki, could someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks...
    • threeeyedtoad
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
        Anyone? "How-to" backup the unslung root system on a USB stick in the "Disk 2" slot?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

        > I've read through just about every page on the wiki regarding backup strategies, and am amazed there isn't a step-by-step instruction on how to create a backup image of an unslung system. The closest I've found is "CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2", but this focuses on creating a backup of the data in flash memory, in order to re-flash a stock NSLU2. I'm interested in creating a bit-for-bit backup of the data on the 1Gb USB thumb drive that contains my (finally, at long last) fully configured unslung system.
        >
        > I have a second drive (NTFS, I believe) in the "Disk 1" slot, and the USB drive I boot from in the "Disk 2" slot. Is there a simple way of creating a comprehensive, bit-for-bit backup image that could be completely restored to a replacment USB stick, if/when the original stick goes south?
        >
        > If this instruction already lives on the wiki, could someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks...

      • Sébastien Lorquet
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
          did you try to copy everything in the partition using a standard tool such as cp, rsync, tar, cpio, dd or something like that?

          I'm sure someone asked this in the last weeks, try to browse the list archives.

          Sebastien
        • threeeyedtoad
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
            I read through the 146 posts that mention the word "backup", and didn't find the magic: "do this, then this, then this."

            I did see a post on June 30 of last year that asked more or less my same question.

            I'm happy to use any/all of the standard tools you mention... I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd need to be to confidently use these without guidance. One of the great things about the unslung project has been how well nearly every task I can think of is documented for those who aren't completely fluent in *nix. I'm also happy to contribute whatever I learn back to the wiki for future use.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

            > did you try to copy everything in the partition using a standard tool such
            > as cp, rsync, tar, cpio, dd or something like that?
            >
            > I'm sure someone asked this in the last weeks, try to browse the list
            > archives.
            >
            > Sebastien

          • threeeyedtoad
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
              Okay... trying to take some initiative, I ran across this page (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd), which is the most straight-forward explanation I've seen of creating a bit-for-bit backup using dd.

              Assuming something like this is my answer:

              dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/backup.img

              If I've booted from the USB stick, and it is currently being used as root, will there be any problems trying to backup my active root partition using dd?

              Assuming I'm on the right track here, I'll use this procedure to create three backups: /dev/sda1 (USB flash data filesystem), /dev/sda2 (USB flash conf filesystem), as well as the MBR. The question is: in restoring these backups to another USB stick, what is the restore sequence? Should I restore sda1 and sdb2, and then the MBR, presumably?

              Thanks again to anyone listening out there...

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

              > I read through the 146 posts that mention the word "backup", and didn't find the magic: "do this, then this, then this."
              >
              > I did see a post on June 30 of last year that asked more or less my same question.
              >
              > I'm happy to use any/all of the standard tools you mention... I'm afraid I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd need to be to confidently use these without guidance. One of the great things about the unslung project has been how well nearly every task I can think of is documented for those who aren't completely fluent in *nix. I'm also happy to contribute whatever I learn back to the wiki for future use.
              >
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@> wrote:
              > >
              > > did you try to copy everything in the partition using a standard tool such
              > > as cp, rsync, tar, cpio, dd or something like that?
              > >
              > > I'm sure someone asked this in the last weeks, try to browse the list
              > > archives.
              > >
              > > Sebastien

            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
                threeeyedtoad wrote:
                > Okay... trying to take some initiative, I ran across this page (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd), which is the most straight-forward explanation I've seen of creating a bit-for-bit backup using dd.
                >
                > Assuming something like this is my answer:
                >
                > dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/backup.img
                >
                > If I've booted from the USB stick, and it is currently being used as root, will there be any problems trying to backup my active root partition using dd?
                >
                > Assuming I'm on the right track here, I'll use this procedure to create three backups: /dev/sda1 (USB flash data filesystem), /dev/sda2 (USB flash conf filesystem), as well as the MBR. The question is: in restoring these backups to another USB stick, what is the restore sequence? Should I restore sda1 and sdb2, and then the MBR, presumably?
                >
                > Thanks again to anyone listening out there...

                You're over-engineering a bit, here -- there's absolutely nothing
                special about the on-disk structure, and Unslung doesn't care at all
                about UUIDs on partitions. So there's no need for "dd", just use cpio
                or tar to back up the files. Also, there's no MBR for Unslung; it boots
                from flash - so all you need is are the contents of the two partitions
                (data and conf).

                The net result is that the procedure looks like this:
                -boot without disks
                -plug in disks
                -use tar to create tarballs of the two partions.

                That's all there is to it.

                Mike (mwester)
              • rincewindcook
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

                  > I've read through just about every page on the wiki regarding backup strategies, and am amazed there isn't a step-by-step instruction on how to create a backup image of an unslung system. The closest I've found is "CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2", but this focuses on creating a backup of the data in flash memory, in order to re-flash a stock NSLU2. I'm interested in creating a bit-for-bit backup of the data on the 1Gb USB thumb drive that contains my (finally, at long last) fully configured unslung system.
                  >
                  > I have a second drive (NTFS, I believe) in the "Disk 1" slot, and the USB drive I boot from in the "Disk 2" slot. Is there a simple way of creating a comprehensive, bit-for-bit backup image that could be completely restored to a replacment USB stick, if/when the original stick goes south?
                  >
                  > If this instruction already lives on the wiki, could someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks...

                  These threads my help you

                  I just make a clone of my system drive using Acronis True Image Home. Which works perfectly.
                • M.J. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2010
                       (Yes, I really am following up from a post 10 months ago...)

                       I finally attempted to backup the two partitions on the 1Gb drive from which I boot unslung.  I attempted to use both cpio and tar, as instructed here.  I did this by pulling the drive, and attaching it to a laptop that I had booted Knoppix 6.2.  It mounted the data partition as sdc1 and the conf partition as sdc2.  I had an external USB drive that is planned on backing everything up to, which was mounted as sdb1.  I attempted to run the cpio command:

                    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sdc1$ sudo find . -print -depth | cpio -ov > /media/sdb1/slug_backup/data.cpio

                       Although data.cpio was created, it was missing all kinds of data, due to permissions errors.  Examples of such errors include:

                    cpio: ./root/.wymypy: Cannot open: Permission denied
                    cpio: ./.ext3flash: Cannot open: Permission denied
                    cpio: ./home/httpd/html/Management/.htpasswd: Cannot open: Permission denied

                       An attempt to use tar yielded similar results.

                       What can I/should I do to create a full and complete backup of my unslung drive?

                       Thanks in advance.

                    On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Mike (mwester) <mwester@...> wrote:

                    threeeyedtoad wrote:
                    > Okay... trying to take some initiative, I ran across this page (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd), which is the most straight-forward explanation I've seen of creating a bit-for-bit backup using dd.
                    >
                    > Assuming something like this is my answer:
                    >
                    > dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/backup.img
                    >
                    > If I've booted from the USB stick, and it is currently being used as root, will there be any problems trying to backup my active root partition using dd?
                    >
                    > Assuming I'm on the right track here, I'll use this procedure to create three backups: /dev/sda1 (USB flash data filesystem), /dev/sda2 (USB flash conf filesystem), as well as the MBR. The question is: in restoring these backups to another USB stick, what is the restore sequence? Should I restore sda1 and sdb2, and then the MBR, presumably?
                    >
                    > Thanks again to anyone listening out there...

                    You're over-engineering a bit, here -- there's absolutely nothing
                    special about the on-disk structure, and Unslung doesn't care at all
                    about UUIDs on partitions. So there's no need for "dd", just use cpio
                    or tar to back up the files. Also, there's no MBR for Unslung; it boots
                    from flash - so all you need is are the contents of the two partitions
                    (data and conf).

                    The net result is that the procedure looks like this:
                    -boot without disks
                    -plug in disks
                    -use tar to create tarballs of the two partions.

                    That's all there is to it.

                    Mike (mwester)

                  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 10, 2010
                      M.J. Johnson wrote:
                      > cpio: ./root/.wymypy: Cannot open: Permission denied
                      > cpio: ./.ext3flash: Cannot open: Permission denied
                      > cpio: ./home/httpd/html/Management/.htpasswd: Cannot open: Permission
                      > denied
                      >
                      > An attempt to use tar yielded similar results.
                      >
                      > What can I/should I do to create a full and complete backup of my
                      > unslung drive?

                      su to root (or try sudo).

                      Knoppix boots up and logs you in as a normal user; you need superuser
                      privs in order to read/write the data for the backup -- otherwise not
                      only will you fail to copy all of the data, the copy itself will have
                      the permissions and ownership of the files all wrong.

                      -Mike (mwester)