VLC on SlugOS(BE)

  • razzadiver
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2009
      I was thinking it would be cool to use my slug, to remotely control a SW radio and stream the media across the internet back to me.
      I have been using 3.10beta Openslug for ages now, but only as an Rsync backup device for my main server. Is a 266MHz slug capable of running VLC and transcoding audio to low bit rate (64K?) MP3 or Vorbis?
    • guyug01
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "razzadiver" <rjames31@...> wrote:

        > Is a 266MHz slug capable of running VLC
        Yes and it does streaming video and audio very well.

        > and transcoding audio to low bit rate (64K?) MP3 or Vorbis?
        No in practice, it's to slow.

        But why no considering migrating to a real Debian as the new Lenny ? It,s easy to install and then you'll get a lot off stable packages as vlc ?
        Cheers
        Guy
      • razzadiver
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "guyug01" <guyug01@...> wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "razzadiver" <rjames31@> wrote:
          > > Is a 266MHz slug capable of running VLC
          > Yes and it does streaming video and audio very well.
          >
          > > and transcoding audio to low bit rate (64K?) MP3 or Vorbis?
          > No in practice, it's to slow.
          >
          > But why no considering migrating to a real Debian as the new Lenny ? It,s easy to install and then you'll get a lot off stable packages as vlc ?

          Thanks for your response Guy.
          If there is a Debian package available that would be the best answer, as i'm all for an easy life and not that skilled with Linux :o)

          If the slug is not up to the job, maybe i'll try the SheevaPlug, although that will be a steep learning curve.

          I found this article after my previous post - http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ConnectUSBPhone#Performance
          Interesting that G711 and GSM seem to cause little load but speex does.

          Thanks again!
        • guyug01
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2009
            > Thanks for your response Guy.
            > If there is a Debian package available that would be the best answer, as i'm all for an easy life and not that skilled with Linux :o)

            Yes, for the debian distribution, install vlc is very easy : just "apt-get install vlc" (no compilation). Then, you are able to stream any audio or video file on your LAN ( but no transcoding !) to some PC or TV setopbox having the right codec.
            I dont know about your interest, but you can have a very good media server (upnp) with such package as "mediatomb" (no compilation but some settings).

            > If the slug is not up to the job,
            It incredibily does for a lot of applications

            > maybe i'll try the SheevaPlug, although that will be a steep learning curve.

            I just had a look at this fantastic stuff, but it's quite new and probably not yet ready for the end user as the slug is.
            Guy