Using ddclient on SlugOS/BE 4.8 Beta. Is this possible?

  • bettega_stefano
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
      I just installed SlugOS/BE 4.8 Beta on my NSLU2, with samba and ntpclient using ipkg.

      I installed ez-ipupdate, but figured out it doesn't work for my network, as NSLU2 is connected to a router and ez-ipupdate only gets my eth0 local address and not my public address (the only way to make it work is by applying a patch to ez-ipupdate).

      So I decided to use ddclient, but ddclient did not appear in my ipkg list. I was wondering if I could add more repositories to my ipkg configuration. I added the new source "http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/" into my ipkg configuration directory, did an ipkg update and then ddclient appeared in my ipkg list. I did an ipkg install ddclient, and it worked: ddclient was installed into /opt/sbin, and also perl was downloaded...

      ... but it doesn't work. I configured ddclient in /opt/etc/ddclient.conf, but when i start ddclient from command line, there are some error in compiling perl script. Am I doing the right thing? In fact any SlugOS/BE package ends with -armv5teb, while unslung packages ends with -armeb. Are those architectures compatible? Is there any other option to set up?

      Thanks
    • Scott Ruckh
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
        This is what you said bettega_stefano
        > Hi,
        > I just installed SlugOS/BE 4.8 Beta on my NSLU2, with samba and ntpclient
        > using ipkg.
        >
        > I installed ez-ipupdate, but figured out it doesn't work for my network, as
        > NSLU2 is connected to a router and ez-ipupdate only gets my eth0 local address
        > and not my public address (the only way to make it work is by applying a patch
        > to ez-ipupdate).
        >
        > So I decided to use ddclient, but ddclient did not appear in my ipkg list. I
        > was wondering if I could add more repositories to my ipkg configuration. I
        > added the new source "http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/" into
        > my ipkg configuration directory, did an ipkg update and then ddclient appeared
        > in my ipkg list. I did an ipkg install ddclient, and it worked: ddclient was
        > installed into /opt/sbin, and also perl was downloaded...
        >
        > ... but it doesn't work. I configured ddclient in /opt/etc/ddclient.conf, but
        > when i start ddclient from command line, there are some error in compiling
        > perl script. Am I doing the right thing? In fact any SlugOS/BE package ends
        > with -armv5teb, while unslung packages ends with -armeb. Are those
        > architectures compatible? Is there any other option to set up?

        ddclient - 3.8.0-1 - A client for updating dynamic DNS entries for accounts on
        a number of dynamic DNS providers.

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

        ddclient is there and is working successfully.
      • Brian Zhou
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
          On slugos, don't add optware ipkg source to /etc/ipkg/any.conf, the two ipkg repos are not designed to be managed with the same ipkg db (package name and file path may conflict). Instead, follow http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

          Right now, to differentiate from optware/slugos5be, optware/slugosbe feed has been renamed to optware/slugos4be. The old optware/slugosbe name will eventually go away.

          -Brian

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bettega_stefano" <bettega_stefano@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I just installed SlugOS/BE 4.8 Beta on my NSLU2, with samba and ntpclient using ipkg.
          >
          > I installed ez-ipupdate, but figured out it doesn't work for my network, as NSLU2 is connected to a router and ez-ipupdate only gets my eth0 local address and not my public address (the only way to make it work is by applying a patch to ez-ipupdate).
          >
          > So I decided to use ddclient, but ddclient did not appear in my ipkg list. I was wondering if I could add more repositories to my ipkg configuration. I added the new source "http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/" into my ipkg configuration directory, did an ipkg update and then ddclient appeared in my ipkg list. I did an ipkg install ddclient, and it worked: ddclient was installed into /opt/sbin, and also perl was downloaded...
          >
          > ... but it doesn't work. I configured ddclient in /opt/etc/ddclient.conf, but when i start ddclient from command line, there are some error in compiling perl script. Am I doing the right thing? In fact any SlugOS/BE package ends with -armv5teb, while unslung packages ends with -armeb. Are those architectures compatible? Is there any other option to set up?
          >
          > Thanks

        • bettega_stefano
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

            > On slugos, don't add optware ipkg source to /etc/ipkg/any.conf, the two ipkg repos are not designed to be managed with the same ipkg db (package name and file path may conflict). Instead, follow http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe
            >
            > Right now, to differentiate from optware/slugos5be, optware/slugosbe feed has been renamed to optware/slugos4be. The old optware/slugosbe name will eventually go away.
            >
            > -Brian

            Thanks, I followed the instructions and now it works.

            I had to disable ssl in ddclient.conf because ddclient complains about a missing SSL perl library. I don't remember the name, but with SSL enabled the script breaks and in syslogs some messages appears stating that library is missing. Maybe I have to install it manually, but in ipkg-opt repository there isn't a library with that name. I could try to install perl's OpenSSL library . What do you think?

            Cheers
            Stefano