Re: SlugOS naming convention (documentation in general)

  • dystopianrebel
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
      > I shall respond to this by quoting an email I sent out to another user
      > ----------------------------
      > IMO, the "-beta" is an
      > indicator of what is expected -- users should not expect a problem-free
      > experience, but like a well-run Beta program, users can expect the
      > involvement by the developers and contributors to help them solve the
      > problem.

      Has development ceased for 3.10 and 4.10? If so, I do believe it would be clearer to users if we declared the ancestor "final" when the descendant is approved for all new installations.

      An alternative is to adopt the convention of distinguishing among the "latest, stable" release, the "development, unstable" release, and the "old, stable" release.

      > Excellent timing! Your application has been accepted. :-D
      > SlugOS 5.3-beta is almost done; it awaits a README file, a couple of
      > final tests, an MD5 sum, and it then will move to the slug-firmware.net
      > site for downloads.

      Let me know when I can be of assistance.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2009
        dystopianrebel wrote:
        > One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
        > the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
        > Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
        > wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.

        Agreed. We never get around to releasing a 'Final' before we start
        working on new features which put it back into 'Beta'.

        > Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
        > reaches this page:
        > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php

        Please fix any page which doesn't refer to the most recent versions.

        > I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
        > doing so.

        There is always huge support for anyone who is improving the
        documentation. Proven documenters go to the head of the queue when I
        prioritise who I support first with answers to questions.

        -- Rod
      • reuter.rudolf
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2009

          > dystopianrebel wrote:
          > > One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
          > > the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
          > > Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
          > > wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.
          >
          > Agreed. We never get around to releasing a 'Final' before we start
          > working on new features which put it back into 'Beta'.
          >
          > > Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
          > > reaches this page:
          > > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php
          >
          > Please fix any page which doesn't refer to the most recent versions.
          >
          > > I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
          > > doing so.
          >
          > There is always huge support for anyone who is improving the
          > documentation. Proven documenters go to the head of the queue when I
          > prioritise who I support first with answers to questions.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Hello Rod,

          I like very much to fix the documentation (wiki) in those places
          where I see it is outdated and I have experience.
          Unfortunately I am not to deep into Linux and sometimes it comes
          to a misunderstanding.
          If you are willing to fix my misunderstandings I will work on the
          documentation, especially slugOSBE.

          Regards, Rudolf