Re: [nslu2-linux] Dovecot on Debian

  • Ian Barton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
      > but then got :-
      > "
      > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
      > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
      > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
      >
      > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
      >
      > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
      > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
      > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
      > I still had, but got the same error as above.
      >
      > So, a couple of questions.
      > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
      > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
      > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
      Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
      dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
      both of:

      dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
      dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes

      I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
      allow the conf file to be re-installed.

      Ian.
    • allanganderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

        > * allanganderson <aganderson@...> [2009-03-04 01:23]:
        > > I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
        > > Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
        > > which I then installed.
        >
        > I don't know anything about dovecot, but installing the -common
        > package itself is most certainly not enough. You'll also need
        > dovecot-imapd
        >
        > Note that your question is better asked on the
        > debian-user@... list since it is not NSLU2 specific.
        > --
        > Martin Michlmayr
        > http://www.cyrius.com/

        Hi Martin

        Yes, eventually, I found that, when I installed dovecot* instead of dovecot-common.

        I don't understand though, why after I'd deleted the .conf file,
        apt-get wouldn't re-install it. Good job I had an old one.
        Perhaps ask this on debian@ ?

        Thanks for your reply, and great work on the Debian front!

        Allan
      • allanganderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ian Barton <lists@...> wrote:

          > > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
          > > but then got :-
          > > "
          > > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
          > > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
          > > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
          > >
          > > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
          > >
          > > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
          > > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
          > > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
          > > I still had, but got the same error as above.
          > >
          > > So, a couple of questions.
          > > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
          > > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
          > > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
          > Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
          > dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
          > both of:
          >
          > dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
          > dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
          >
          > I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
          > allow the conf file to be re-installed.
          >
          > Ian.

          Hi Ian

          I'd found that install dovecot* instead of dovecot-common got me the missing pieces!

          Thanks for the tip on purge. I'm new to apt.

          Allan