Re: [nslu2-linux] Dovecot on Debian

  • Ian Barton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
      > but then got :-
      > "
      > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
      > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
      > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
      >
      > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
      >
      > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
      > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
      > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
      > I still had, but got the same error as above.
      >
      > So, a couple of questions.
      > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
      > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
      > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
      Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
      dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
      both of:

      dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
      dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes

      I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
      allow the conf file to be re-installed.

      Ian.
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
        * allanganderson <aganderson@...> [2009-03-04 01:23]:
        > I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
        > Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
        > which I then installed.

        I don't know anything about dovecot, but installing the -common
        package itself is most certainly not enough. You'll also need
        dovecot-imapd

        Note that your question is better asked on the
        debian-user@... list since it is not NSLU2 specific.
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * allanganderson <aganderson@...> [2009-03-04 01:23]:
          > > I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
          > > Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
          > > which I then installed.
          >
          > I don't know anything about dovecot, but installing the -common
          > package itself is most certainly not enough. You'll also need
          > dovecot-imapd
          >
          > Note that your question is better asked on the
          > debian-user@... list since it is not NSLU2 specific.
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Hi Martin

          Yes, eventually, I found that, when I installed dovecot* instead of dovecot-common.

          I don't understand though, why after I'd deleted the .conf file,
          apt-get wouldn't re-install it. Good job I had an old one.
          Perhaps ask this on debian@ ?

          Thanks for your reply, and great work on the Debian front!

          Allan
        • allanganderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ian Barton <lists@...> wrote:

            > > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
            > > but then got :-
            > > "
            > > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
            > > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
            > > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
            > >
            > > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
            > >
            > > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
            > > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
            > > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
            > > I still had, but got the same error as above.
            > >
            > > So, a couple of questions.
            > > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
            > > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
            > > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
            > Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
            > dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
            > both of:
            >
            > dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
            > dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
            >
            > I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
            > allow the conf file to be re-installed.
            >
            > Ian.

            Hi Ian

            I'd found that install dovecot* instead of dovecot-common got me the missing pieces!

            Thanks for the tip on purge. I'm new to apt.

            Allan