Dovecot on Debian

  • allanganderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
      Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
      which I then installed.

      I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
      but then got :-
      "
      # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
      Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
      Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "

      The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.

      I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
      dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
      the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
      I still had, but got the same error as above.

      So, a couple of questions.
      a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
      b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
      b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?

      Thanks

      Allan
    • Ian Barton
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
        > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
        > but then got :-
        > "
        > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
        > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
        > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
        >
        > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
        >
        > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
        > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
        > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
        > I still had, but got the same error as above.
        >
        > So, a couple of questions.
        > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
        > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
        > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
        Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
        dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
        both of:

        dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
        dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes

        I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
        allow the conf file to be re-installed.

        Ian.
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          * allanganderson <aganderson@...> [2009-03-04 01:23]:
          > I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
          > Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
          > which I then installed.

          I don't know anything about dovecot, but installing the -common
          package itself is most certainly not enough. You'll also need
          dovecot-imapd

          Note that your question is better asked on the
          debian-user@... list since it is not NSLU2 specific.
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

            > * allanganderson <aganderson@...> [2009-03-04 01:23]:
            > > I've just installed Debian Lenny on my nslu2 and went to install
            > > Dovecot. It wasn't found, but a search produced dovecot-common,
            > > which I then installed.
            >
            > I don't know anything about dovecot, but installing the -common
            > package itself is most certainly not enough. You'll also need
            > dovecot-imapd
            >
            > Note that your question is better asked on the
            > debian-user@... list since it is not NSLU2 specific.
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

            Hi Martin

            Yes, eventually, I found that, when I installed dovecot* instead of dovecot-common.

            I don't understand though, why after I'd deleted the .conf file,
            apt-get wouldn't re-install it. Good job I had an old one.
            Perhaps ask this on debian@ ?

            Thanks for your reply, and great work on the Debian front!

            Allan
          • allanganderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ian Barton <lists@...> wrote:

              > > I made a couple of mistakes in editing dovecot.conf, corrected them,
              > > but then got :-
              > > "
              > > # 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
              > > Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file or directory
              > > Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf "
              > >
              > > The folder /usr/lib/dovecot/ does exist with various files, but not imap.
              > >
              > > I decided to play safe (I thought) and, to get a fresh .conf, removed
              > > dovecot and reinstalled it. However, it said it wasn't restoring
              > > the deleted file(s). I then tried the old unslung dovecot.conf which
              > > I still had, but got the same error as above.
              > >
              > > So, a couple of questions.
              > > a) Should there be a dovecot, or is dovecot-common OK?
              > > b) Where is /usr/lib/dovecot/imap?
              > > b+1) How can I get a fresh dovecot.conf (plus the other files from /etc/dovecot which I deleted)?
              > Dovecot is split into several packages. All of them require
              > dovecot-common. Depending on our needs you want to install either or
              > both of:
              >
              > dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
              > dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
              >
              > I think that apt-get purge dovecot-common should remove all files and
              > allow the conf file to be re-installed.
              >
              > Ian.

              Hi Ian

              I'd found that install dovecot* instead of dovecot-common got me the missing pieces!

              Thanks for the tip on purge. I'm new to apt.

              Allan