Re: nslu2 and kamikaze 8.09

  • Michael Stucki
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Jay,

      I'm having the same problem. Tried with the supplied binary but also
      compiled it myself with no success.

      - michael

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
        Jay-127 wrote:

        > Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.

        I have the same problem, though I used the 8mb 'non-fat' image. Hopefully
        there is a quick fix for this!

      • Jay Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
          Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.

          For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).

          Good luck with your slug!

          Cheers,

          Jay schrieb:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Tonight I downloaded and flashed my fatslug with Kamikaze 8.09 via
          > UpSlug2. Flash process worked without issues, slug rebooted itself,
          > all the lights flashed, then after what seemed to me to be an
          > uncomfortable length of time the Ethernet light turns green - all
          > other lights including Ready light are not illuminated.
          >
          > I look in my router's dhcp leases and see the slug requested
          > 192.168.1.130 which is the same address is had before the flash attempt.
          >
          > Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.
          >
          > In desperation I re-flashed back to v 7.09 with success but I'm left
          > frustrated and wondering what with wrong with the flash attempt.
          >
          > Unfortunately creating a serial connector is beyond my expertise.
          >
          > Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated!
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ------

        • sdm485
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
            Just put kamikaze 8.09 on my 128M fatslug; it has a serial port. It booted up with a static
            IP of 192.168.1.1. I changed that to my network in the /etc/config/network file and
            rebooted. It now works fine via the webpage. It sees all the RAM too.
            Steve

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jay Johnson <jej_94107@...> wrote:

            > Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.
            >
            > For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).
            >
            > Good luck with your slug!
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Jay

          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
              I also had to change the root password from the webpage before I could log in via ssh. I
              didn't know the default password and this worked...:) Looks like 4M+ of jffs for additional
              programs. Cool.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jay Johnson <jej_94107@...> wrote:

              > Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.
              >
              > For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).
              >
              > Good luck with your slug!
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Jay

            • darethehair
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                sdm485 wrote:

                > It booted up with a static
                > IP of 192.168.1.1.

                Thanks so much for finding 'the problem' i.e. that the OS was booting with
                an unexpected (?) IP address. With a bit of temporary ethernet cable
                swapping, I was able to connect and 'fix' the network settings back to what
                I wanted them to be :)

                As well, I had not been aware of the 'web' interface that was available.
                Pretty nifty!

                Now, hopefully, I will be able to install all the packages that I could not
                before with the 'hybrid' webcam-only version of Kamikaze that I had
                previously!

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                  darethehair wrote:
                  > Jay-127 wrote:
                  >> Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.
                  >
                  > I have the same problem, though I used the 8mb 'non-fat' image. Hopefully
                  > there is a quick fix for this!

                  Try contacting it on static address of 192.168.1.1, no dhcp.

                  -- Rod
                • darethehair
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Rod Whitby-2 wrote:

                    > Try contacting it on static address of 192.168.1.1, no dhcp.
                    >
                    > -- Rod

                    Yep, that is what I did -- but first I had to swap some network cables
                    around, since my router (actually most routers) use '192.168.1.1' as their
                    IP address. I am more curious to know whether it was intentional (or not)
                    for the latest Kamikaze to use that address, rather than something more
                    likely *not* to collide with a router?