SlugOS naming convention (documentation in general)

  • dystopianrebel
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
      One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
      the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
      Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
      wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.

      What are we, Google? (o:

      Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
      reaches this page:
      http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php

      I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
      doing so.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
        dystopianrebel wrote:
        > One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
        > the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
        > Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
        > wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.
        >
        > What are we, Google? (o:

        I shall respond to this by quoting an email I sent out to another user
        who ventured a different theory on why we don't do "release" or "final":

        ----------------------------
        (10-Feb-2007)

        >> Presumably 6.8 is beta because of this kind of undiscovered problem!

        > Actually, I prefer to think that the "-beta" nomenclature is less
        "problem-oriented" as it is "expectation-oriented". It certainly is
        true that the community does not have the test equipment and formal
        procedures associated with many commercial release processes, but on the
        other hand, this community has a diversity and breadth of environments
        that would be the envy of well-run QA labs. IMO, the "-beta" is an
        indicator of what is expected -- users should not expect a problem-free
        experience, but like a well-run Beta program, users can expect the
        involvement by the developers and contributors to help them solve the
        problem. On the flip side, users also need to expect that just as in a
        formal Beta program, they are required to take an active role in helping
        to diagnose and solve any problems they encounter.

        ----------------------------

        > Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
        > reaches this page:
        > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php
        >
        > I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
        > doing so.

        Excellent timing! Your application has been accepted. :-D

        SlugOS 5.3-beta is almost done; it awaits a README file, a couple of
        final tests, an MD5 sum, and it then will move to the slug-firmware.net
        site for downloads.

        No documentation exists on the wiki at this time for that release. The
        wiki is huge, and the collective knowledge stored there is considerable.
        But the other side of that coin is that it's often like rummaging
        through an old warehouse -- it's hard to know what is outdated versus
        what is current.

        We're going to fix that with a new convention for SlugOS 5.3 (and
        beyond) -- you can go peek at the DSM-G600 pages to get an idea of how
        we will be marking pages going forward. So folks perusing the wiki will
        be clearly able to see pages specific to SlugOS 5.3 based on the words
        and color-coding at the top of the page. We'll also be asking users to
        "certify" pages that are still useful -- a different bit of test will be
        added to existing pages that are still pertinent to SlugOS 5.3.

        The idea is that the user has a clear visual cue on each page that will
        tell them when they have wandered away from the known-good docs for a
        specific distro, or distro version (if it's specific to a version).

        Stay tuned -- I'm travelling yet again this week, so I really can't say
        when this will actually get done (depends on how much "quality" time I
        end up with in airports, I suspect). But it should be Real Soon Now(tm).

        -Mike (mwester)
      • dystopianrebel
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
          > I shall respond to this by quoting an email I sent out to another user
          > ----------------------------
          > IMO, the "-beta" is an
          > indicator of what is expected -- users should not expect a problem-free
          > experience, but like a well-run Beta program, users can expect the
          > involvement by the developers and contributors to help them solve the
          > problem.

          Has development ceased for 3.10 and 4.10? If so, I do believe it would be clearer to users if we declared the ancestor "final" when the descendant is approved for all new installations.

          An alternative is to adopt the convention of distinguishing among the "latest, stable" release, the "development, unstable" release, and the "old, stable" release.

          > Excellent timing! Your application has been accepted. :-D
          > SlugOS 5.3-beta is almost done; it awaits a README file, a couple of
          > final tests, an MD5 sum, and it then will move to the slug-firmware.net
          > site for downloads.

          Let me know when I can be of assistance.
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2009
            dystopianrebel wrote:
            > One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
            > the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
            > Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
            > wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.

            Agreed. We never get around to releasing a 'Final' before we start
            working on new features which put it back into 'Beta'.

            > Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
            > reaches this page:
            > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php

            Please fix any page which doesn't refer to the most recent versions.

            > I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
            > doing so.

            There is always huge support for anyone who is improving the
            documentation. Proven documenters go to the head of the queue when I
            prioritise who I support first with answers to questions.

            -- Rod
          • reuter.rudolf
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2009

              > dystopianrebel wrote:
              > > One of the things I'm sure new users find confusing about SlugOS is
              > > the fact that there is never a release called "Release" or "Final".
              > > Version 3.10 is labelled Beta, version 4.10 is labelled Beta, and I
              > > wager version 5 will be labelled Beta beyond its Beta too.
              >
              > Agreed. We never get around to releasing a 'Final' before we start
              > working on new features which put it back into 'Beta'.
              >
              > > Another problem is that 3.10 is still mentioned at
              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org as the version to download, until the user
              > > reaches this page:
              > > http://www.slug-firmware.net/s-dls.php
              >
              > Please fix any page which doesn't refer to the most recent versions.
              >
              > > I'm willing to clean up the documentation if there's support for my
              > > doing so.
              >
              > There is always huge support for anyone who is improving the
              > documentation. Proven documenters go to the head of the queue when I
              > prioritise who I support first with answers to questions.
              >
              > -- Rod

              Hello Rod,

              I like very much to fix the documentation (wiki) in those places
              where I see it is outdated and I have experience.
              Unfortunately I am not to deep into Linux and sometimes it comes
              to a misunderstanding.
              If you are willing to fix my misunderstandings I will work on the
              documentation, especially slugOSBE.

              Regards, Rudolf