Re: Cross toolchain, SlugOS5, webcam support (uvcvideo)?

  • reuter.rudolf
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@> wrote:
      > >
      > > reuter.rudolf wrote:
      > > > What I get now, after deleting
      > > > linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2.do_compile and "make
      > slugosbe-image" is:
      > > >
      > > > make[1]: Entering directory

      `/home/rudi/slug/slugos/tmp/work/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi/linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2/linux-2.6.27'
      > > > CC init/main.o
      > > > armeb-linux-gnueabi-ld: init/.tmp_main.o: compiled for a little
      endian
      > > > system and target is big endian
      > > > armeb-linux-gnueabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file
      > > > init/.tmp_main.o
      > > > make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
      > > >
      > > > Then I deleted init/.tmp_main.o and started again, with the same
      > > > results. Is it now the best to delete the whole /slug/slugos/tmp
      > folder?
      > >
      > > Wow! I have no idea what happened, but it looks like you have part of
      > > your environment built with little-endian, and part with big-endian --
      > > that's one of those things that I suspect the OE experts would "that
      > > can't happen".
      > >
      > > Yes, delete the entire tmp directory, and start fresh. Make sure that
      > > you take care to make "slugosbe-image", and never "slugosle-image"
      (or,
      > > for those that prefer little-endian, the other way around - it makes
      > > little difference as long as its all consistent).
      > >
      > > Again, that can't happen. But clearly it did, somehow.
      > >
      > > Mike (mwester)
      > >

      > > BTW, if you can just provide the complete list of modules you need
      > > enabled, we can add them to the SlugOS 5 feeds as soon as I get the
      > > release done, and the feeds building -- hopefully a matter of one
      final
      > > opkg patch to do, and then the mechanics of the release process to
      > execute.
      > >
      > Thank you for your help Mike, and for the offer to include the modules
      > in the feed.
      > I like to have uvcvideo.ko (probably CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m) for my
      > webcam and pwc.ko (probably CONFIG_USB_PWC=m) which is for Philips
      > webcams, just in case. They use the V4L2 (Video for Linux version 2)
      > support, which is already enabled in the feed, but I could not test
      > that yet, because of the missing uvcvideo.ko driver.
      >
      > I tried to compile with a new "tmp" folder, with the following result:
      > NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 732 tasks of which 0 didn't need to be
      > rerun and 1 failed.
      > ERROR:
      > '/home/rudi/slug/slugos/openembedded/packages/glibc/glibc_2.6.1.bb'
      failed
      > NOTE: build 200902282313: completed
      > make[1]: *** [image] Fehler 1
      > make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/rudi/slug/slugos'
      > make: *** [slugosbe-image] Fehler 2
      >
      > In my next try I will delete slug/slugos and start again.
      >
      > Regards, Rudolf

      Hello Mike,
      The kernel module uvcvideo.ko is now working. I renamed slug/slugos
      and started again.
      First to my special problem:
      After a resizing of the Linux partition of my development computer the
      swap partition was not enabled. Therefore I got sometimes an "out of
      memory error" - fixed.

      A detailed explanation of the build process ------------------
      In order to compile "uvcvideo.ko" (webcam driver) you first type:
      "make ARCH=arm menuconfig" in path
      slug/slugos/tmp/work/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi/linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2/linux-2.6.27
      and set flag:
      /Device Drivers/Multimedia Devices/Video capture adapters/V4L USB
      devices/USB Video Class (UVC) <M>
      and save the file ".config".
      If the phase "config" is not run, it is useful to also edit
      config-2.6.27.8 in path:
      slug/slugos/tmp/staging/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi/kernel
      Insert after "# CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS is not set"
      CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m

      In order to enable compilation you should delete the file:
      linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2.do_compile
      in path: slug/slugos/tmp/stamps/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi
      Maybe deleting .do_config will avoid editing config-2.6.27.8.

      Next run from path slug "make slugosbe-image".
      The file kernel-module-uvcvideo_2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2_nslu2be.ipk
      is found in path: slug/slugos/tmp/deploy/ipk/nslu2be

      My next action will be to compile the source code for uvccapture, a
      video camera capture tool, which works for me under slugOS4.8.
      Do you please have a hint, how to do that in accordance with the rules?

      Thanks for the big help Mike.
      Regards, Rudolf
    • reuter.rudolf
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:

        > Hello Mike,
        > The kernel module uvcvideo.ko is now working. I renamed slug/slugos
        > and started again.
        > First to my special problem:
        > After a resizing of the Linux partition of my development computer the
        > swap partition was not enabled. Therefore I got sometimes an "out of
        > memory error" - fixed.
        >
        > A detailed explanation of the build process ------------------
        > In order to compile "uvcvideo.ko" (webcam driver) you first type:
        > "make ARCH=arm menuconfig" in path
        > slug/slugos/tmp/work/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi/linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2/linux-2.6.27
        > and set flag:
        > /Device Drivers/Multimedia Devices/Video capture adapters/V4L USB
        > devices/USB Video Class (UVC) <M>
        > and save the file ".config".
        > If the phase "config" is not run, it is useful to also edit
        > config-2.6.27.8 in path:
        > slug/slugos/tmp/staging/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi/kernel
        > Insert after "# CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS is not set"
        > CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m
        >
        > In order to enable compilation you should delete the file:
        > linux-ixp4xx-2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2.do_compile
        > in path: slug/slugos/tmp/stamps/nslu2be-linux-gnueabi
        > Maybe deleting .do_config will avoid editing config-2.6.27.8.
        >
        > Next run from path slug "make slugosbe-image".
        > The file kernel-module-uvcvideo_2.6.27.8+svnr1085-r2_nslu2be.ipk
        > is found in path: slug/slugos/tmp/deploy/ipk/nslu2be
        >
        > My next action will be to compile the source code for uvccapture, a
        > video camera capture tool, which works for me under slugOS4.8.
        > Do you please have a hint, how to do that in accordance with the rules?
        >
        > Thanks for the big help Mike.
        > Regards, Rudolf

        The program "uvccapture" is now also working under slugOS5.
        It was only feasible with the help of Jon Barber.
        The method to produce this new package for slugOS5 is now decribed
        in the NSLU2 wiki under the link
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddUvccaptureToPackages

        Regards, Rudolf