nslu2 and kamikaze 8.09

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hi all,

      Tonight I downloaded and flashed my fatslug with Kamikaze 8.09 via
      UpSlug2. Flash process worked without issues, slug rebooted itself,
      all the lights flashed, then after what seemed to me to be an
      uncomfortable length of time the Ethernet light turns green - all
      other lights including Ready light are not illuminated.

      I look in my router's dhcp leases and see the slug requested
      192.168.1.130 which is the same address is had before the flash attempt.

      Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.

      In desperation I re-flashed back to v 7.09 with success but I'm left
      frustrated and wondering what with wrong with the flash attempt.

      Unfortunately creating a serial connector is beyond my expertise.

      Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated!
    • Michael Stucki
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hi Jay,

        I'm having the same problem. Tried with the supplied binary but also
        compiled it myself with no success.

        - michael

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
          Jay-127 wrote:

          > Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.

          I have the same problem, though I used the 8mb 'non-fat' image. Hopefully
          there is a quick fix for this!

        • Jay Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
            Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.

            For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).

            Good luck with your slug!

            Cheers,

            Jay schrieb:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Tonight I downloaded and flashed my fatslug with Kamikaze 8.09 via
            > UpSlug2. Flash process worked without issues, slug rebooted itself,
            > all the lights flashed, then after what seemed to me to be an
            > uncomfortable length of time the Ethernet light turns green - all
            > other lights including Ready light are not illuminated.
            >
            > I look in my router's dhcp leases and see the slug requested
            > 192.168.1.130 which is the same address is had before the flash attempt.
            >
            > Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.
            >
            > In desperation I re-flashed back to v 7.09 with success but I'm left
            > frustrated and wondering what with wrong with the flash attempt.
            >
            > Unfortunately creating a serial connector is beyond my expertise.
            >
            > Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated!
            >

            > ------------ --------- --------- ------

          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
              Just put kamikaze 8.09 on my 128M fatslug; it has a serial port. It booted up with a static
              IP of 192.168.1.1. I changed that to my network in the /etc/config/network file and
              rebooted. It now works fine via the webpage. It sees all the RAM too.
              Steve

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jay Johnson <jej_94107@...> wrote:

              > Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.
              >
              > For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).
              >
              > Good luck with your slug!
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Jay

            • sdm485
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                I also had to change the root password from the webpage before I could log in via ssh. I
                didn't know the default password and this worked...:) Looks like 4M+ of jffs for additional
                programs. Cool.

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jay Johnson <jej_94107@...> wrote:

                > Thanks much for this Michael - makes me feel a bit better.
                >
                > For now I'm gonna leave it at 7.09 but I sure would like to know what's up :).
                >
                > Good luck with your slug!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Jay

              • darethehair
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                  sdm485 wrote:

                  > It booted up with a static
                  > IP of 192.168.1.1.

                  Thanks so much for finding 'the problem' i.e. that the OS was booting with
                  an unexpected (?) IP address. With a bit of temporary ethernet cable
                  swapping, I was able to connect and 'fix' the network settings back to what
                  I wanted them to be :)

                  As well, I had not been aware of the 'web' interface that was available.
                  Pretty nifty!

                  Now, hopefully, I will be able to install all the packages that I could not
                  before with the 'hybrid' webcam-only version of Kamikaze that I had
                  previously!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                    darethehair wrote:
                    > Jay-127 wrote:
                    >> Attempts to ping, telnet, and ssh are all met with failure.
                    >
                    > I have the same problem, though I used the 8mb 'non-fat' image. Hopefully
                    > there is a quick fix for this!

                    Try contacting it on static address of 192.168.1.1, no dhcp.

                    -- Rod
                  • darethehair
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
                      Rod Whitby-2 wrote:

                      > Try contacting it on static address of 192.168.1.1, no dhcp.
                      >
                      > -- Rod

                      Yep, that is what I did -- but first I had to swap some network cables
                      around, since my router (actually most routers) use '192.168.1.1' as their
                      IP address. I am more curious to know whether it was intentional (or not)
                      for the latest Kamikaze to use that address, rather than something more
                      likely *not* to collide with a router?