Bricked by Lenny?

  • Nick Boyle
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
      It was all working fine, then I updated the distro to Lenny.

      It was off last night when I got in, and repeatedly tried to switch it
      on. Got a quick flash of the green light on the power switch, but that
      was it. The USB drive is fine and is currently plugged into my Ubuntu
      server.

      Any ideas?
    • Nick W
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
        I've installed Lenny several times with no problems...

           Check your logs and root's bash history.  Perhaps it got hacked and some girlfriend-less moron did naughty stuff with the flash ram mtd's and rebooted it?

        Within 30 minutes of putting my slug live, 213.133.3.3 tried to brute-force pwd hack the ssh server.      Installed knockd and all has been well ever since.

        N.

        Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live Find out more!
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
          * Nick Boyle <nick@...> [2009-02-25 11:43]:
          > It was all working fine, then I updated the distro to Lenny.

          So you upgraded from etch to lenny, or you had a previous snapshot of
          lenny and upgraded to the final release?

          In any case, without a serial console, it's probably impossible to
          tell what went wrong during the upgrade. If you cannot work it out,
          I'm afraid you'll probably have to reinstall.

          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
            I installed Lenny fine. I completely overwrote my previous version,
            which was Unslung 6.x(?). It was working fine. However it could be a
            hardware failure. Can't turn the thing on at all.

            On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
            > * Nick Boyle <nick@...> [2009-02-25 11:43]:
            >
            >> It was all working fine, then I updated the distro to Lenny.
            >
            > So you upgraded from etch to lenny, or you had a previous snapshot of
            > lenny and upgraded to the final release?
            >
            > In any case, without a serial console, it's probably impossible to
            > tell what went wrong during the upgrade. If you cannot work it out,
            > I'm afraid you'll probably have to reinstall.
            >
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
              It sounds like the power supply since it can't even get to the Reboot loader. Probably a
              capacitor inside has failed. It is probably a coincidence that it happened during the upgrade.
              USB hub power supplies work as a replacement but you have to change the plug on the end.
              Steve

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Nick Boyle <nick@...> wrote:

              > It was all working fine, then I updated the distro to Lenny.
              >
              > It was off last night when I got in, and repeatedly tried to switch it
              > on. Got a quick flash of the green light on the power switch, but that
              > was it. The USB drive is fine and is currently plugged into my Ubuntu
              > server.
              >
              > Any ideas?

            • Harsh
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                I had a similar behavior when I got my slug over from the US and plugged it into a wall point in Singapore. Didn't realize I was plugging a non-adjustable 110V US adaptor into a 230V socket. The behavior was exactly as you described - a quick flash of the green (ready) light every time I pressed the power button but the device refused to switch on.

                A few more attempts and the green flash also disappeared so I'm guessing there was a capacitor in the adaptor discharging whatever power it had stored in it and when it got maxed out that was the end of it.

                Got a new adaptor and it all worked fine.

                I think I heard elsewhere on this newsgroup that the stock Linksys adaptor is also of slightly poor quality and prone to fail.

                It sounds like the power supply since it can't even get to the Reboot loader. Probably a
                capacitor inside has failed. It is probably a coincidence that it happened during the upgrade.
                USB hub power supplies work as a replacement but you have to change the plug on the end.
                Steve

                --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, Nick Boyle <nick@...> wrote:

                > It was all working fine, then I updated the distro to Lenny.
                >
                > It was off last night when I got in, and repeatedly tried to switch it
                > on. Got a quick flash of the green light on the power switch, but that
                > was it. The USB drive is fine and is currently plugged into my Ubuntu
                > server.
                >
                > Any ideas?

                Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Click here.
              • Nick Boyle
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2009
                  Can anyone recommend a replacement adaptor from Maplins in the UK?

                  On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:
                  > I had a similar behavior when I got my slug over from the US and plugged it
                  > into a wall point in Singapore. Didn't realize I was plugging a
                  > non-adjustable 110V US adaptor into a 230V socket. The behavior was exactly
                  > as you described - a quick flash of the green (ready) light every time I
                  > pressed the power button but the device refused to switch on.
                  >
                  > A few more attempts and the green flash also disappeared so I'm guessing
                  > there was a capacitor in the adaptor discharging whatever power it had
                  > stored in it and when it got maxed out that was the end of it.
                  >
                  > Got a new adaptor and it all worked fine.
                  >
                  > I think I heard elsewhere on this newsgroup that the stock Linksys adaptor
                  > is also of slightly poor quality and prone to fail.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Ian White
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2009
                    (which I bought when it was on a better discount than it currently is)

                    But http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48484 ought to do as an alternative

                    I'm sure that there must be a number of other sources of 230 volt AC -to- 5 volt DC (at circa 1.5 amp) power supplies
                    at better prices than Maplin

                    Especially if you are prepared to do some cable mods on the DC side of a PSU to achieve correct DC power plug

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 26, 2009
                      And from another source, a replacement (UK) power supply at a more sensible price

                      First PSU on the page is capable of 2.5 amps at 5 volts DC
                      which, subject to current carrying capacity of the slug circuit board power tracks easily should be able to power a couple of bus-powered devices

                      And if you are only going to power the nslu2, the last PSU on this same page is even cheaper
                      but note 1000ma is probably not really enough to power the slug and any bus powered USB devices
                      at least not without running the PSU at near full capacity which might cause reliablilty problems

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Thanks for the pointer. I'd like to buy a replacement that won't
                        involve me doing any cable mods. I don't really trust my electronics
                        :)

                        What's the plug size on the NSLU2?

                        Thanks