Slight question about fstab under debian on the Slug

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
      I have the following fstab:
      #
      # Running from USB Stick on Disk 1 Connector
      #
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      UUID="930bda67-3497-4053-959a-e46352fc158b" / ext3
      defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
      #/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
      none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
      /var/swap/swapfile none swap sw
      # external USB drive on Disk 2 connector
      # This should mount the second partition on the Maxtor OneTouch
      UUID="7c697ee9-4629-4642-92e4-1920193246de" /media/sdb2 ext3
      defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 2
      #or the usual way. But this will cause problems on a Debian Slug if
      # the disk is powered on at boot time
      #/dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 2

      USB stick on Disk1 USB connector, Maxtor OneTouch on Disk2 USB connector.
      Works OK on Debian 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx, as long as the Maxtor is powered on.
      If it is not on then the rootfs never gets mounted and the slug does
      not finish booting.
      Same if I use the /dev/sdb2 instead of UUID for the maxtor.

      I thought using UUID would solve these problems for me. As long as
      there are no entried for sdb2 in fstab then the Slug will come up,
      whether the Maxtor is connected or not.
      BTW Everything works perfectly if the Maxtor is mounted later
      manually. Is that the only solution?

      Cheers Brian
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
        * bloedmann999 <Brian_Dorling@...> [2009-02-13 16:23]:
        > I thought using UUID would solve these problems for me. As long as
        > there are no entried for sdb2 in fstab then the Slug will come up,
        > whether the Maxtor is connected or not.
        > BTW Everything works perfectly if the Maxtor is mounted later
        > manually. Is that the only solution?

        Linux will try to run a file system check on sdb but since the disk is
        not on it will fail and prompt you for input (but obviously you cannot
        see this). Replace the last integer of the lines for sdb in
        /etc/fstab with a 0, so the file system check won't be done.

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * bloedmann999 <Brian_Dorling@...> [2009-02-13 16:23]:
          > > I thought using UUID would solve these problems for me. As long as
          > > there are no entried for sdb2 in fstab then the Slug will come up,
          > > whether the Maxtor is connected or not.
          > > BTW Everything works perfectly if the Maxtor is mounted later
          > > manually. Is that the only solution?
          >
          > Linux will try to run a file system check on sdb but since the disk is
          > not on it will fail and prompt you for input (but obviously you cannot
          > see this). Replace the last integer of the lines for sdb in
          > /etc/fstab with a 0, so the file system check won't be done.
          >
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Martin, Thats seems to work properly. Although I dont really
          understand why. If /dev/sdb does not exist, how can the system still
          try to run an fsck on it? OK, if there are entries for it in fstab I
          can understand the system looking for the partition, but it cannot
          find it and it still tries the fsck?
          Thanks very much.
          Cheers Brian
        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
            * bloedmann999 <Brian_Dorling@...> [2009-02-14 13:29]:
            > Martin, Thats seems to work properly. Although I dont really
            > understand why. If /dev/sdb does not exist, how can the system still
            > try to run an fsck on it? OK, if there are entries for it in fstab I
            > can understand the system looking for the partition, but it cannot
            > find it and it still tries the fsck?

            Right. It will try to run fsck on the partitions listed in fstab and
            if it doesn't exist it will complain and prompt the user.
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/