WRP400 and optware

  • mmachnio
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hello!

      On http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ I found information that Linksys WRP400
      is supported by NSLU2 Optware target, but I can't find any success
      story describing how to integrate mentioned above software and hardware.

      I would like to use USB port of WRP400 and install on it ssh server.

      Please, correct me if I am wrong but the only way of achieving that
      goal would be to:

      1. solder serial port
      2. login to the router by serial console
      3. mount usb-drive under /opt
      4. install ipkg optware package manager
      5. install sshd or dropbear

      Best regards,
      Marcin Machnio
    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2009
        Rod and I did some initial work, but the feed is not open. Lots of
        packages fail to build.

        So at this point, the only way to get optware ipkg on your WRP400 is
        to build them yourself. See the instruction at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

        -Brian Zhou

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2009
          mmachnio wrote:
          > On http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ I found information that Linksys WRP400
          > is supported by NSLU2 Optware target, but I can't find any success
          > story describing how to integrate mentioned above software and hardware.

          "Supported" is way too strong a word. I've updated the wiki page to
          reflect that.

          I was working on it, but then the serial port on the device broke for
          some reason, and I have not been able to get back into it. So
          development has stopped.

          > I would like to use USB port of WRP400 and install on it ssh server.

          I did get that far. If you're really serious about this, contact me
          privately and I can help you along.

          > Please, correct me if I am wrong but the only way of achieving that
          > goal would be to:
          >
          > 1. solder serial port
          > 2. login to the router by serial console
          > 3. mount usb-drive under /opt
          > 4. install ipkg optware package manager
          > 5. install sshd or dropbear

          That is correct. There is no current way to change the firmware or
          upload packages without serial port access. Even getting serial port
          console access is not an easy task in itself, even after the soldering
          is done.

          -- Rod
        • mmachnio
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009

            > mmachnio wrote:
            > > On http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ I found information that Linksys WRP400
            > > is supported by NSLU2 Optware target, but I can't find any success
            > > story describing how to integrate mentioned above software and
            hardware.

            > "Supported" is way too strong a word. I've updated the wiki page to
            > reflect that.
            >
            > I was working on it, but then the serial port on the device broke for
            > some reason, and I have not been able to get back into it. So
            > development has stopped.
            >
            > > I would like to use USB port of WRP400 and install on it ssh server.
            >
            > I did get that far. If you're really serious about this, contact me
            > privately and I can help you along.

            So, was it possible to write your own init.d script for ssh server to
            start it automatically on every reboot of the router? It is especially
            interesting because router is using read only filesystem squashfs and
            starting deamons added from Optware through serial port access would
            be a burdensome task.

            > > Please, correct me if I am wrong but the only way of achieving that
            > > goal would be to:
            > >
            > > 1. solder serial port
            > > 2. login to the router by serial console
            > > 3. mount usb-drive under /opt
            > > 4. install ipkg optware package manager
            > > 5. install sshd or dropbear
            >
            > That is correct. There is no current way to change the firmware or
            > upload packages without serial port access. Even getting serial port
            > console access is not an easy task in itself, even after the soldering
            > is done.

            It turned out that my WRP400 is still under warranty for about one
            year, so I am hesitating whether to solder serial port or not ;-).

            Regards,
            Marcin
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009
              I was able to modify the firmware enough to pivot-root to rootfs on a usb stick, which then ran sshd, and had enough room on it to install optware packages.
              -- Rod

              > > is supported by NSLU2 Optware target, but I can't find any success
              > > story describing how to integrate mentioned above software and
              >hardware.
              >
              > "Supported" is way too strong a word. I've updated the wiki page to
              > reflect that.
              >
              > I was working on it, but then the serial port on the device broke for
              > some reason, and I have not been able to get back into it. So
              > development has stopped.
              >
              > > I would like to use USB port of WRP400 and install on it ssh server.
              >
              > I did get that far. If you're really serious about this, contact me
              > privately and I can help you along.
              >
              >So, was it possible to write your own init.d script for ssh server to start it automatically on every reboot of the router? It is especially interesting because router is using read only filesystem squashfs and starting deamons added from Optware through serial port access would
              >be a burdensome task.
              >

              > > Please, correct me if I am wrong but the only way of achieving that
              > > goal would be to:
              > >
              > > 1. solder serial port
              > > 2. login to the router by serial console
              > > 3. mount usb-drive under /opt
              > > 4. install ipkg optware package manager
              > > 5. install sshd or dropbear
              >
              > That is correct. There is no current way to change the firmware or
              > upload packages without serial port access. Even getting serial port
              > console access is not an easy task in itself, even after the soldering
              > is done.
              >

              >It turned out that my WRP400 is still under warranty for about one
              >year, so I am hesitating whether to solder serial port or not ;-).
              >
              >Regards,
              >Marcin

            • RafaƂ W
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2010
                I have a question. What is the purpose of these activities. Source code is
                available for this equipment is generally available. Is it possible to
                simply create a once running software from sources under the GPL? In the
                mean of usage of USB port. Even if not, the source code can be traced to
                find way of running software on it. I dream of installing gentoo on this
                router ...
                Rafal W.