Using a Raid dual drive nfs nas as the nslu2 root file system by pivotting

  • bullfrog528
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hi

      I've previously used the instructions for several years now for
      setting up a raid 1/mirrored dual disk for the nslu2 running unslung
      6.8. However it's never been overly succesful with the mirror loosing
      sync every couple of weeks, and horrendous rebuild times. Also
      requires careful partitioning of the drives.

      I'm considering using one of these readily available nfs dual drive
      nas units with two disks installed with native raid to do the raid
      bit and then try to get a nslu2 to pivot to the mounted nfs share on
      the nas unit, has anyone tried this?

      Can anyone think of any problems I'm likely to encounter with this
      arrangement?

      I'll try this myself in the next few weeks, however if someone has
      already done some donkey work in this area then I'm all ears.

      Thanks

      Jeremy/Bullfrog528
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
        SlugOS.

        Honestly. The technical issues you will have to surmount will make it
        far, far easier to just go with SlugOS (SlugOS 5 will support mirrored
        rootfs in the base firmware).

        Mike (mwester)

        bullfrog528 wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I've previously used the instructions for several years now for
        > setting up a raid 1/mirrored dual disk for the nslu2 running unslung
        > 6.8. However it's never been overly succesful with the mirror loosing
        > sync every couple of weeks, and horrendous rebuild times. Also
        > requires careful partitioning of the drives.
        >
        > I'm considering using one of these readily available nfs dual drive
        > nas units with two disks installed with native raid to do the raid
        > bit and then try to get a nslu2 to pivot to the mounted nfs share on
        > the nas unit, has anyone tried this?
        >
        > Can anyone think of any problems I'm likely to encounter with this
        > arrangement?
        >
        > I'll try this myself in the next few weeks, however if someone has
        > already done some donkey work in this area then I'm all ears.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jeremy/Bullfrog528
      • bullfrog528
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
          Aha thank you no point in reinventing the wheel.

          I assume SlugOS 5 isn't out yet, the latest one being 3.10 Beta or am
          I wrong?

          In SlugOS 3.10? , I believe I can do a turnup nfs to get what I want.
          Do you concur? I'm getting a little confused with the references to
          openslug (the old name for slugos) , especially as in one page in the
          wiki it says that openslug 3.10 Beta is derived from slugos ,
          shouldn't it be the other way around, I'll just put my confusion down
          to it being 2am here.

          Thanks again

          Jeremy/Bullfrog528

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > SlugOS.
          >
          > Honestly. The technical issues you will have to surmount will make
          it
          > far, far easier to just go with SlugOS (SlugOS 5 will support
          mirrored
          > rootfs in the base firmware).
          >
          > Mike (mwester)
          >
          > bullfrog528 wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I've previously used the instructions for several years now for
          > > setting up a raid 1/mirrored dual disk for the nslu2 running
          unslung
          > > 6.8. However it's never been overly succesful with the mirror
          loosing
          > > sync every couple of weeks, and horrendous rebuild times. Also
          > > requires careful partitioning of the drives.
          > >
          > > I'm considering using one of these readily available nfs dual
          drive
          > > nas units with two disks installed with native raid to do the
          raid
          > > bit and then try to get a nslu2 to pivot to the mounted nfs share
          on
          > > the nas unit, has anyone tried this?
          > >
          > > Can anyone think of any problems I'm likely to encounter with
          this
          > > arrangement?
          > >
          > > I'll try this myself in the next few weeks, however if someone
          has
          > > already done some donkey work in this area then I'm all ears.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Jeremy/Bullfrog528

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
            bullfrog528 wrote:
            > Aha thank you no point in reinventing the wheel.
            >
            > I assume SlugOS 5 isn't out yet, the latest one being 3.10 Beta or am
            > I wrong?

            SlugOS 5 is almost out; we're soliciting feedback from those who are
            willing to test it. As soon as the requisite number have confirmed that
            it builds for them, and works correctly in their testing, we'll release it.

            Unfortunately, since this depends on the community and not on the
            developers at this point, we can't predict when that will be. (And thank
            you to the testers who have provided feedback to date -- your feedback
            is greatly appreciated!)

            SlugOS 4.8 is available for download immediately, although the kernel is
            a little bit old.

            > In SlugOS 3.10? , I believe I can do a turnup nfs to get what I want.
            > Do you concur? I'm getting a little confused with the references to
            > openslug (the old name for slugos) , especially as in one page in the
            > wiki it says that openslug 3.10 Beta is derived from slugos ,
            > shouldn't it be the other way around, I'll just put my confusion down
            > to it being 2am here.

            SlugOS 3.10 and SlugOS 4.8 both support turnup to NFS. However, there's
            a wiki page that outlines some things you need to do in order to make it
            successful for 4.8 (again, thanks to the community to help debug that
            process).

            With SlugOS 5.x, testing NFS turnup is on the list of things to do
            before release, so hopefully you won't need to do anything particularly
            special to do it with SlugOS 5.x. Please note that no SlugOS releases
            have support for NFS 4 yet -- NFS version 3 is what is being tested.

            > Thanks again
            >
            > Jeremy/Bullfrog528

            Mike (mwester)
          • bullfrog528
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
              Hi

              Thankyou for clearing that up.

              Would it be of any benefit for me to start with the 5.2 version and
              report back. I promise to think first and try and solve the problem
              myself before just posting things like I can't get it to work. I
              still have my crosscompiler for unslung so if only the source is
              available I can still proceed and try building and using and send
              back any feedback.

              Assuming the above is OK with you I just need to find the 5.2 version.
              The location of which I'm struggling with at the moment which
              probably makes me look like a right numpty.